Decided to stop lurking.

Ryn0

Hello,

Picked up an 88 YJ last month. I spent a bunch of time wrenching on it lately.

eLKVgBZ.jpgJ6PDoUN.jpg

It has the 4.2l and a turbo 350 transmission right now. :roll:

It started out as a 4cyl 5 speed so there was a lot of frankenstein electrical stuff going on so I rewired it.

qJTrzZO.jpg

bye bye ecu

DMhQUyE.jpg

Once that was taken car of I started in on the interior. Its over 30 years old and there is absolutely NO rust so I thought a spray in bed liner would be cool.

KzrKg7w.jpg

It turned out pretty nice.

ZEEdwd9.jpg

Some gauges and other electronic bits and switches to sort out yet.

qN710CW.jpg

I've added some better headlights as well.
Rn2dFij.jpg

After the rewiring and bed liner I was really excited to drive it but there was a grinding noise coming from somewhere underneath.
I put it up on jack stands and was able to determine it was coming from the front right with 4WH/4WL engaged. After I got the right side
taken apart I found a ton of old mud and gear oil packed in between the front axles/axle tubes. So now I'm just waiting on parts to arrive so I can rebuild the front end.

Also, when I was taking the roll bar out most I found that most of the nuts welded into the windshield frame have popped. Which is nice.
I'm assuming the best way to deal with that is to buy a whole new frame? I have some pod lights I really want to put on. And the mounts for the rear view mirrors as well.

Anyway, I've learned a lot creeping around on this forum. This is my first jeep so I've had lots of questions. My jeep knowledge is pretty thin but I know a good bit about taking things apart and putting them back together.

Thanks for reading.

PS> anyone around the Wiregrass in southern AL know where I can get my hands on a manual trans? I have a sweet 3 speed auto for trade, or ya know, money. :shades:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Jeepz.com! I really like the hard upper doors - I wish I had a pair of those.

That electrical work looks like a beast - good job getting that under control.

Back