We need a vehicle that can withstand the impact of a deer

Lou

No seriously. A buck ran into the side of my WRX on the highway and did a tremendous amount of damage. The day we got my car back, a buck stepped out in front of my girlfriend's Civic (with me in the passenger seat) and did $12k in damage. A full grown buck looks quite large when you are sitting down low in a little Civic. Needless to say, we are paranoid of deer right now.

We both want SUV's, most likely with brush guards. If there was a Mad Max version of the Jeep, we would probably go with that. My girlfriend is due for a new car here in the next couple of months, and neither of us have ever owned a Jeep or SUV, so we are trying to do our research and get some information from enthusiasts.

Her potential Jeep:
  • Probably 4-door Unlimited
  • Maybe new, maybe a couple years old (need to do more research into depreciation of the different scenarios)
  • Probably Automatic
  • Not sure about V6 vs the 4
  • Definitely will get a large brush guard so that we can feel a little safer on the road

Any advice is appreciated :)

Welcome to Jeepz.com

I think a wrangler with a brush guard would be as good as any. As long as it sits up high enough. There are definitely plenty of bumpers with winch loops that should work nicely.

Anything short of the "real" Australian Safari Outback Bull bars or Mad Max versions won't provide the animal impact protection you're looking for. Some of the brush guards offered today look substantial but are mostly decorative and offer limited protection from low speed impacts.

Cow Catcher, exoskeleton or a Plow. Seriously they do make double tube bumpers (ugly IMHO) or fab your own that ties back into the frame.

Start here
https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep-bumpers/front-bumpers?ka=front bumpers

But honestly you will still get damage if you hit a deer.

Don’t rush and buy. Think it through. Eventually the fear subsides. And, You can’t live in fear. ...its a deer apocalypse!!!! :)
IMG_0773.JPG

Just be glad you are alive and hopefully no one was hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back