It all started in hour 1…. :-D

gloryjeep

First time Jeep buyer (long time fan). Wife & I picked up a fairly clean 98 TJ Soft Top with a 4 banger 5spd (Previous owner added cold air intake and throttle body from a 4.0, it doesn’t feel as under powered as often claimed). Also has a quality lift and 33s. Anywho….wife drove it home from the seller’s house and called me 30 mins later- she lost power steering and overheated…..spent the next hour in a parking lot unwinding shreds of the belt from the fan and coaxing new belt on. All in all, not likely the worst “first hour” story on here, but adventurous nonetheless!

Excited to be here! If anyone can recommend the following, would be greatly appreciated…

1) quality Northern VA Jeep mechanic (long shot, I know)

2) we don’t have a garage - any tips/thoughts on car covers?

3) the 98 TJ has a “pull out” rear gate handle, which hits the spare tire…any common tricks for that?

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32

Welcome to Jeepz.com. I imagine breaking down on the way home has got to be pretty frustrating!

As to your questions:
1. Can't help you there, however I lived in Fairfax County until 2005. Nice place!
2. A bunch of guys in my neighborhood have these. They look good for keeping the rain out overnight - https://www.amazon.com/JeCar-Weatherproof-Sunshine-Wrangler-Submodels/dp/B083R8PSFK
3. Is your spare tire a full size 33, or is it smaller than the other tires? I ask because a 33 on the stock rear tailgate will usually be too heavy for the tailgate, and it will wear out with time and squeak. I bought this - TJ/LJ Exogate Tailgate HD Kit – GR8TOPS which helps just beef everything up.

I had worse…all in all, was happy to see it was just a belt.

thanks for the tips! Especially looking at the HD tailgate

Search out jeep clubs in the area. Many members are good do it yourselfers. Or recommend a good shop.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I think I tried every car cover there is even the the car cover tent! I would recommend also choosing portable garage just so when you are doing some fixing it won't be that hot. But for the regular car cover, anything would be great as long as you would have the energy to put it.

BTW my old neighbor had a full tj cover. He seemed to like it. It stayed on in wind and rain.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back