New Jeep Owner 79 CJ5

ScottSheehan038

Hello everyone,
I just got a Jeep. A 1979 CJ5 and plan to fix it up. The main question I have is where to go to find information specific to my goals. I have tried some to fix info but it would seam and rightly so I guess. That most Jeep videos and what not are geared around rock crawlers, lifting your jeep to the moon, mudding your jeep, how to equip your jeep for a trip to Mars! Okay not that last one but you get the point.

My plan is to upgrade this Jeep with current products that help to overcome some of its draw backs while staying as close to form as possible. Since this Jeeps main function will be taking it out during good weather for a "freedom ride". It will probably take some short cuts from time to time. But that is about it. No 3 foot deep mud no boulders to climb over or those type of things. So I don't need swapper ties and a big oh lift.

Sadly some things have already been done though. So I will need to drop it, put back in a gas tank, it has a 350 and auto transmission so that will probably stay. Even though I think I would prefer a Ford 300 if I had a choice. I guess my main thing is the suspension, steering, brakes, and instrument display.

Anyway anyone know of some good utube channels articles, or what not that has content geared more towards what I want my jeep to be?

Thank you for your time,
Scott Sheehan
San Antonio TX.

It’s going to depend on what was done to it besides the engine swap. You can get all the stock components for it and put them back on if they were removed. Pretty easy to work on, I have a 79 cj7 which I did a frame off restoration. Leaf springs, gas tank, fuel lines, brakes etc can be had by a quick search. I had to get the frame from a bone yard, but today you can even get that fab up.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Yes I get that I can find original equipment with a search. What I am looking for is information about what can be upgraded or Shal I say modernized but is close to original. I have tried a few keywords or phrases i could think of but it didn't really get me anywhere. Examples include upgrading your Jeep while keeping it original, modernizing your Jeep while staying close to original or form, restoring and old Jeep with improved products. Maybe I just need to go though a few pages to get out of the pages that have been designed to come up on keywords like old and Jeep even though they are LED Lights, Lift Kits, 33' Tires...

A Jeep restored to factory stock conditions is a pretty capable vehicle.

Watch the ads and Jeep junkyards for parts. Because many folks are taking off stock parts and going with aftermarket parts, you can sometimes get the stock parts at bargain prices.

Yes I get that I can find original equipment with a search. What I am looking for is information about what can be upgraded or Shal I say modernized but is close to original. I have tried a few keywords or phrases i could think of but it didn't really get me anywhere. Examples include upgrading your Jeep while keeping it original, modernizing your Jeep while staying close to original or form, restoring and old Jeep with improved products. Maybe I just need to go though a few pages to get out of the pages that have been designed to come up on keywords like old and Jeep even though they are LED Lights, Lift Kits, 33' Tires...

Ah, I see. I know one thing to modernize is the dash. Upgrade the gauges and the dash lights. I couldn’t see a thing with my old dim lights. You could do a coil over suspension and or add a three link to improve ride. I added multipoint fuel injection, hydraulic clutch and upgraded brakes to power.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Sites like Rock Auto, Quadratec, 4WD carry replacement neat OEM parts.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Hello guys! Im new here too, thinking of buying renegade in this month! check out essay writers for hire if you need some help with paper work from college.

Last edited:
Welcome mikehookpro!
When you do post some pics of your new jeep!!

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Have you tried collinsbrosjeepDOTcom? They do full restorations and specialize in 76 to present. I do not have any connection to them but I would expect them to have the ideas, resources for parts and recommendations that could be very helpful. They're based in Texas.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back