Greeting from Romania

Masinistul

Hello everyone,

My name Alin-Alexandru Ionescu and I live in Bucharest, Romania. Last year I bought a 1991 2-door Cherokee for Graz, Austria with the intention of keep it nice and stock and get a registration as a classic vehicle (this applies for 30 YO and older vehicles that are in good condition). It has de Renault diesel engine, a 2.1 liter oil burner with 88 HP coupled with a 5 speed manual. Dana 35 rear axle with LSD, steel rims, had some AT tires on it when I bough it. 135.000 km from new, the car was mostly garage in the last 20 years. But in the first 10 years, living in an alpine region with lots of snow, got a lot of salt underneath.

Anyway, I got excited about the low millage, the good looking white paint and it`s gorgeous burgundy interior. Unfortunately, I went to Austria to pick it up without making some serious checks regarding its condition. The seller presented it as a pristine example and I payed premium for that. And than, when I came home, the shit show went loose.

First I discovered that the rear seats are grey. It had covers over, I didn`t mind to check before paying for the car. The Jeep was sold as a commercial vehicle, so it never had a rear bench, and at some point the previous owner installed a bench from another Cherokee. Different color and style, though.

Than I realized that there was rust. Lots of rust underneath, hose in the sills and the floor, all the drivetrain was all rotten.

1 year later, the car is still under restoration, the rust was fixed (lost of work), repaired/replaced everything from the drivetrain, steering and suspension, I hope to get it running in a couple of weeks.

But I can`t find a similar looking bench, so if you have any advice, it would be really welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 39

welcome to the site!

thats a very cool cherokee you have. its a bummer that a crappy seller overpriced it and you had to put so much money and time into it.

that back seat might be very hard to find.

Back