1955 CJ5 Restoration

Willy'sMan

I’ve started my first restoration project, and wouldnt yah know I lucked out getting my hands on my grandfathers old CJ5. Got some plans and goals for the vehicle that I want to put up to serve two purposes. The first is simply to gain knowledge from other Jeep aficionados. The second is to place down record of my plans and to compare the final restoration to my original projection of what I would like. My timeline is to have the Jeep completed by me and my wife’s 5 year anniversary, which will be Columbus Day weekend of 2022. We plan to take a trip down to Florida from Pennsylvania over a weeks time. So, the final product must be capable of this.

1. Engine upgrade - Prior to my acquiring this the inline four cylinder was already switched out for the Dauntless V6. I’d like to put a Chevy V8 smallblock in, but I’m not set on that. My main purpose is to increase horsepower.

2. Transmission swap - Currently the CJ has a three speed installed. This probably won’t suit us well seeing as when it ran, top speed was around 45 mph without straining the engine. There is a four speed transmission option I found that I plan to research further.

3. Suspension upgrade - Increase in horsepower and speed require and increase of the suspensions capabilities. The stock suspension is shot anyway, might as well improve! This is one area I tread in uncharted waters. I have never done much research into the possibility of swapping suspension parts. So advice please!

4. New tub - The old tub is rusted through, not even worth trying to salvage. Fortunately the frame has very minimal rust! Any suggestions on a company to reach out to for a tub?

5. New top - There currently is no top, so that’s an easy decision. The brand of soft top is where I must do my research.

6. Paint job - Yes, this is far down the road. But the paint job that I choose can easily affect how I fix the vehicle. One that I am considering is simply the military green with a white star on the hood. I’m not going to put larger tires or any lift on the CJ if I choose this. So if you have a favorite paint job or an idea of what could work well with this model and year, please share!

All that remains are small details. This is, in a nutshell, my plan! Hope to see some valuable discussion!

There won't be much left of Grandpa's Jeep when your done. A V8 with an Auto with a transfere case is a pretty long drive train, do you plan on going off road ? The original frame also is not really up the the task of V8 power and neither are the axles, leaf springs or steering gear. It's funny how #6 is the longest thing you mentioned. I think you have a lot more to consider.

There won't be much left of Grandpa's Jeep when your done. A V8 with an Auto with a transfere case is a pretty long drive train, do you plan on going off road ? The original frame also is not really up the the task of V8 power and neither are the axles, leaf springs or steering gear. It's funny how #6 is the longest thing you mentioned. I think you have a lot more to consider.

I do know that I have much more to consider, and you are right that there won’t be much left of Grandpa’s CJ. But as is, the only part left of the Jeep is the frame. Nothing else is salvageable. I do need to research more details about how the engine, transmission, and transfer case will all work together. So yes, I do need to consider more.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back