Compression fittings illegal in NY

Snitty

Compression fittings are illegal to use on brakelines in NY state...

I found out why...

I extended my front brakelines by cutting the metal in the lines and extending them with brakeline... good solid hold, good 6" extension... held pressure, made for great flex, fit nice, all that...

last night, I went camping on the top of a big steep mountain... I got to the top of the road to get to my 2 mile trail, entered the woods... about 1/4 mile in, the brakes go to the floor... GREAT!!!!! pshhhh... It was nearing dark, and my flashlight's bulb JUST went out about a half hour before... good, didn't need all this... So I reach in to feel my fittings, and i feel that one of them was loose on the passenger side, tossed my wrench in there in attempt to tighten it, and it just kept turning and turning, couldn't figure it out...

I decided to toss it in 4lo and crawl the rest of the way to my site, i had to set up camp before the sun was totally down... I made it no problem, almost 2 miles through some pretty rough trails with no brakes... it was a much better option than trying to go down the hill, relying only on engine braking... When I got to the site, I used my friend's cell phone and told a friend that i'd be needing some parts in the morning...

morning comes around, I get a phone call to meet me at the road, so I packed up and started off out the woods... I get to the road to get working on it, grabbed my tools, and started digging in to see what the problem was....

One of the compression nuts split all the way through, along the whole corner of the hex... I plugged the power inverter in, hooked up the dremel, and cut the compression ball off, then put a new fitting on... hoping that a new nut would hold enough to get me down the hill... which it did, and it now sits out front of my house, waiting for me to get time to flare all of the ends to accept flare fittings...

I've never had a problem with compression fittings when used in brakelines... but they've always been 3/16"... this was a 5/16" fitting, maybe they get weaker as they get bigger... But I found out that I'll be shying away from them now.. It could have just been a weak oddball, and i've never heard another story about one blowing apart, but I'm gonna play safe here

Back