Transmission Noise - 99 Grand Cherokee

judge09

I just bought a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited and everytime I put the jeep into gear drive or reverse start moving or start moving from a complete stop I hear a metal grinding sound. This only happens when I first start moving and I dont notice any problems when the jeep shifts. The noise it noticably loud and it sounds to me like it was coming from the rear brakes. Since I bought it from a dealership I brought it to them so they could fix the problem. What I was told was that the sound was coming from the transmission and its normal in this car. It doesnt sound normal to me. and my 2000 wrangler never made noise like this. I have never owned an automatic car before or full time 4-wheel drive. Should I be worried about this grinding sound and investigate further. Iam going to look at the brakes myself this weekend cause I still dont believe its the transmission. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

Dave[addsig]

It's not normal. I'd also take a look at the driveshafts, make sure they are lubed properly.[addsig]

Any ideas from anyone as to how to approach the dealership they insist its the transmission and its normal.[addsig]

I had a 99' Grand Cherokee Laredo and had the same problem. It started out as a grinding noise and then it was a loud knock and grind, then it was a replacement transmission. Luckily for me my Jeep was still under warranty and it only had 20000 miles.[addsig]

If it isn´t written down it never happened (keep all your paper and generate as much as possible). Jeep supposedly has a really good guarantee on transmissions and drive train. But the question is,is it transferable?

Sound travels through the drivetrain. Sometimes the only luck I´ve had chasing down a noise, is with the Jeep on a lift in gear. Be careful of the rotating parts and listen with a mechanics stethiscope or a piece of tubing.

A loose pinion gear, grab the rear universal joint on the driveshaft and shake up and down, and in and out (should be no play), will make a grinding sound.

Pulling the pan on the auto transmission, will sometimes be enlightening. On occasion I´ve found alot of metal in there. I mean chunks, like half a handfull.

Same thing for the transfer and differentials. It´s worth a load of oil just to know what you got.[addsig]

I actually still have the warrenty on it. The problem I run into is if I touch it I could void the warrenty. But the dealership wont do anything about it. Its a little catch-22 problem.[addsig]

Back