98 jeep Grd Cherokee "popping" noise

KarenB

Hey guys, thanks for being here - it is nice to know a forum where other Jeep owners can talk about these maintenance issues.
I bought a JGC about 2 years ago, I love it, but it seems like a lot with them.
I just replaced the left front axleshaft, as it busted on me. (it sounded like a shotgun was let off: shook my jeep) I drove it home, assessed the damage, and the wheel turned with awful noise, CV axle busted. I replaced the axle shaft with a used one. This was about a week ago. When checking on the $ of a new axleshaft, there was a note stating a strong recommendation to change the motor mounts when changing the axle.
The steering of the jeep is much easier after replacement, but during harder turns in either direction, there is a popping noise, softer turns cause a faint pop, harder turns the pop is louder. Sometimes, it does not do it at all. It will pop "in and out" meaning if it pops during a turn, it will pop back when the wheel direction is corrected. My first thought is the motor mount need replaced, but someone offered the suggestion of it being possibly the ball joints. Have you had this issue before, could you possibly know what is causing this noise?

If you could find someone to turn the wheel while you isolate the pop noise in front, it will make it a lot easier to diagnose the cause. Remember to keep your hands free from any moving parts to avoid injury.

Back