Engine Computer for engine upgrade !

VikingJeep

Folks, I'm new on this site and will first tell... I'm happy I found this place.

I'm a happy owner of an TJ 1997 2.5l.

I'm in the progress of upgrading my engine.

The old 2,5 l weak engine is not working and I have bought a new 4.0l
engine from a 2005 liberty. Bought from JeepsAreus... Well I never shop from them again ;-(

My big question is !

Which computer will it require ?
Anyone with experince who may help me out with this ?

Best regards
VikingJeep (Norway)

To make the change your going to need to get a few things.
First you should make a call to painless wiring, they can offer you technical help getting the right wiring harness for your jeep/motor/transmission combination.
Second they can tell you what ECM (computer) you will need to get that 4.0 fired up.

Gents, I'm a lier.... Ofcourse it's not a liberty but Rubicon :eek:
Thanks for the painless tip.... I'm writing them a mail right now.

My TJ will be totally refurbish.

But since my 2.5 banger not is running at all I better start with engine.

Plan is:

- Get my Rubicon 4.0l engine running.
- Change to E85 etanol engine fuel
- Supercharge with Kenne Bell

-------------------------------------

- Full new paint
- New Soft top
- 2.5" Lift and suspension
- New reems and tires.

Will not go totaly crazy, its 98% street car.

I would suggest the Mopar performance PCM for your application but there might be another source out there that might be cheaper.

Don't forget "new transmission" on that list of things needed...among other things. Your AX5 won't work with the 4.0, not to mention you're talking about supercharging it. NV3550 / 4500? I'm sure one of the other, smarter than me, guys can put down a list of other items that are needed to do this upgrade.

What's importan is that the new PCM will be able to tune locally.
This due to my experiment with E85.
I have a friend with his own dyno etc.... he is a engine builder.

I have already bought a NV3550, I hope it's a good choice.

All advices is welcome.....

I Have a concern that If I buy a computer from painless the Kenne Bell
want work with me ? The nice thing is painless provides software for tuning.

With the correct computer software(Laptop or desktop) linked up to the DLC , you can practically alter everything on the PCM settings if you know what your doing. For that matter, you can do the same on the factory PCM that's compatible with the powertrain requirements your trying to achieve. The concept is not much different from the BullyDog system that's commonly used on the Diesels. The operator does his preffered settings with a programmer and your done. The problem is, if you dont know what your doing with the settings with the fuel to air ratio, you might end up blowing head gaskets or the worst case scenario, split the block..

Back