Weird sounds?!?!?

sweetpeet

I have a 1974 jeep CJ5 with a 304 V8. I'm having some sort of sound coming from the floor. its a clanking sound, kind of like something is hitting the the floor, right around the spot where the transmission is. I'm thinking that's it, but i'm not really sure though. any thoughts? ideas of what I can do?

First, check the driveline u-joints and the trans. mount along with the motor mounts.

I had something similar last year, turned out an exhaust hanger bolt had backed out, used a polylock nut on it last time.

Chuck the tires on the front and rear. E-brakes on and trans. in neutral. Crawl up under the Jeep and move the driveline while pulling and pushing the shaft and see if the u-joint has a slack between the needle bearing caps and the center u-joint base. Check each u-joint as you go. On the trans mount, you can use a jack to lift up on the trans. while watching to see if it separates from the skid plate/ belly pan. Do the same on the engine mount, just make sure you lift up on a solid surface instead of the oil pan.

Chuck the tires on the front and rear. E-brakes on and trans. in neutral. Crawl up under the Jeep and move the driveline while pulling and pushing the shaft and see if the u-joint has a slack between the needle bearing caps and the center u-joint base. Check each u-joint as you go. On the trans mount, you can use a jack to lift up on the trans. while watching to see if it separates from the skid plate/ belly pan. Do the same on the engine mount, just make sure you lift up on a solid surface instead of the oil pan.

ok i checked the U-joints and it doesn't look like there's any slack in the u-joints, i mean as far as i can tell it looks ok. i havent done the thing w/ the mounts but from looking at them they look ok..... o and how am i suppose to lift the engine with out jacking it up from the oil pan? and i know i cont jackit from the oil pan in risk of denting it. ok so i think i'v come to the conclusion that its not the u-joint. is there anything else it could be, other than the mounts?

Back