95 YJ restore

yo momma yj

95 YJ w/122K rusted out from under me...so like a fool...

I thought the 56 Flx bus was my last project due to age and injuries...but nooooooo.

I tore it down last summer and have been cleaning/blasting/painting/swearing and limping over the winter.

[edit] no pics showing? poop.

nevermind...got it.

Last edited:

pic test...OK good. frame thinks it's camping (shhhh don't say anything)

Attachments

• flx_side 2.jpg
    flx_side 2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 728
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 463
  • body.jpg
    body.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 627
  • axle rust.jpg
    axle rust.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 654
  • fr axle painted.jpg
    fr axle painted.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
a rub a dub dub...

wheels are blasted and primed
axles painted with a POR-15-ish rust paint under a different name
laundry room is the parts warehouse
manifolds blasted up nice
head's back from a valve job living in the kitchen
engine is yet to be torn down

Attachments

• DSC00418.JPG
    DSC00418.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC00417.JPG
    DSC00417.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 366
  • DSC00423.JPG
    DSC00423.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC00428.JPG
    DSC00428.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 298
  • DSC00419.JPG
    DSC00419.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:

pic test

Attachments

• DSC00290.JPG
    DSC00290.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 304
  • DSC00293.JPG
    DSC00293.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 309
  • DSC00425.JPG
    DSC00425.JPG
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC00292.jpg
    DSC00292.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 336
game plan is stock nothing special in the gorilla jeep dept. (we'll see how long that lasts with all these creative things I see on these Jeep sites)
middle daughter is doing bio-medical engineering at Case aiming at extended schooling and potent degrees so this may well be her reward for hard work.
frame rear shackle mounts (R the worst) are shot and steering box mount captive nuts were spinning free, I had to cut and grind it apart... so come Spring I need to section some frame and do some creative welding...or go the new Montana $2500 frame route..we'll see.

I need a rotisserre for the body yet... there's some bad body mounts on the R side.

a work in progress.

Last edited:
Nice.. Please tell me your at least going to replace the 35 rear??? at least put a non-c-clip 35 in... the C-clip 35 in the 90 and on jeeps are just garbage. since you already have 4.10's, look for an explorer 8.8, weld on perches and bolt in (sort of, need to address the pinion flange and brakes, all aftermarket parts)

as for the rotisserre, just flop the body on it's side on to some 4x4's, it's lite enough that one person can toss it around with minimal effort.

L:astly.. DO I spy either a honda CB in the background or is it a triumph?

I see the chrome on the tank and the exhaust pipes, but they look the same in the pic?

<just flop the body on it's side on to some 4x4's, it's lite enough that one person can toss it around with minimal effort.

I don't juggle like I used to.

<Lastly.. DO I spy either a honda CB in the background or is it a triumph?

'07 T100. 865... I like it a lot...very similar feel to the old ones I had...more 1968 than the 1971 oil in frame mistake some genius came up with.
the bike I can still toss around...somewhat.

another picture in progress...rear shackle mounts

salvaged the sleeves with a hole saw.
boxes are 3/8" X 2 bottom I had laying around & side plates are 3/16" X 3" flat from tractor supply. I'm extending some meat beyond the original rear crossmember for draw bar, spare tire mount, ect... plus I want a bit more gas tank protection from the enemy rear sneak attack.

44 1/2" centers locating jigs.
I gave myself 1/2" or so of lift just for sport.

what I do notice now that I'm in to it ankle deep is while the front 4 spring mounts are good centers and X-ed good hypotenous-i (?), the 4-5 frame out of kilter mandrel bends to the rear throw any conception of straight and square out the window. these YJ frames (mine at least) seem pretty hastily put together... I may have to relocate a rear/mid mount to put it right... I need a laser frame table.

the good, the bad and the ugly. I hate these freakin' Jeeps.

Attachments

• rear frame 1.jpg
    rear frame 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6,430
Last edited:

Nice.. Please tell me your at least going to replace the 35 rear??? at least put a non-c-clip 35 in... the C-clip 35 in the 90 and on jeeps are just garbage.

this restore is likely a graduation gift for the daughter in the long run. I'm not crazy about the overall quality...setting up the shackle mounts, I found the frame bends are hap hazard throwing all sense of precision square out the window.

earlier in this thread you see the bus... this YJ is a far cry from a serious machine. It gave me 122K trouble-free miles as is...I'll make it go, but I'm not investing much to pretend it's anything more than it is.

I believe if I were to think serious 4WD, it would have to start with a different platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I crested one mountain peak...

wallowed in the rust ugly for too long but spanked it proper. I have the frame sealed, axles were primed in a POR 15 clone already so I got some Massey Ferguson grey machinery enamel on the big parts. I had to weld up a new transmission mount on the belly pan, and I'm changing front axle seals now while it's still up on the bench at eyeball level, and soon to get the front axle mounted.

I still have some front frame plates to fab and weld in, but I have the rascal upright and pinned to the ground with enough weight so it doesn't flip belly up again...everytime it does that, it's more trouble for me.

Attachments

• jeep frame.jpg
    jeep frame.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9,939

I got some pictures the other day.

belly skid trans mount was just about gone, so I redid the 2nd skin with some 3/16"...and the saddles are on.

I changed the R side, but while it's down this far, I have to make a case spreader and change front L axle seal... then at last parts can start to meet back up.

Attachments

• DSC00493.JPG
    DSC00493.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
  • DSC00490.JPG
    DSC00490.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 354
as winter nestles it's icy fingers into the bone marrow, here's the fall update.

tho I intended to throw out the rusty gas tank skid/mount, my wife gave me that come hither look and said "Oh...you can fix that"

so...since it was rusted ugly and didn't come out gracefully, I trimmed the bad parts and had to make the heat shield... ended up a triple layer.

I also got the block cleaned prissy and sealed in paint, and after putting the front axle seals in, I can now start slapping things back together chassis-wise, ...misc parts from nooks and crannies all over the domain.

nice to have the tools. i should have this wrapped up by summer...or at least next winter.

about to run out to pick up brake parts/plumbing and next mountain is the the under body and mate it back on.

I swore the bus was going to be the last project... it took a good bit of wind out of me.
I'm thinking this has to be it. I'm bumping 60 and running outta juice.

Attachments

• heat shield.jpg
    heat shield.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 539
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 545
  • fr axle.jpg
    fr axle.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
I need front backing plates, bearing hub mount bolts (heads are iffy...I can torque them in but no guarrenty they'll come back off 10 years down the road), plastic slingers for the fr. axles.

NAPA tells me they are dealer parts... I never walked away from a dealer happy, so anyone have an alternate source for right priced OEM?

steering box green started out as 1/3qt of blue rustoleum I had laying around and I mixed some yellow into it.

the dark green on the engine mounts was left over flat black in the bottom of a can I mixed the pre-mix green into for a commercial looking color.

edit: just noticed the early pics don't show the dark green...maybe next update photo session.

over the chill of winter I got the chassis pretty much back in shape. soon as the muse strikes with tropical breezes, I dig into the engine and trans for a quick once over... and all that's left is the body under...be some welding patch there. goal is to have it back in service for next winter.

money out of pocket is still estimated to be under/around $2500 all told.

Attachments

• DSC00747.JPG
    DSC00747.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • DSC00749.JPG
    DSC00749.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 335
  • DSC00753.JPG
    DSC00753.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 998
  • DSC00755.JPG
    DSC00755.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 681
Last edited:

the sway bar yellow is tweaking me already...I'm thinking of either painting it the dark green for that military truck sleeper look, or like a rattlesnake with ends...maybe put a danger sign on it.

Back