Location for second battery

Redfishjack

I just bought a 2005 TJ jeep. It has six driving lights and a 9000 Lb Warren winch. The problem I see with all this battery usage is that I can only find one battery under the hood which is my starting battery. I would like to redue it right and add some more battery power. The only problem I see, is where can I find room for another battery. I am open for suggestions. I have never seen so much cramed under the hood like this.

Redfishjack said:
I just bought a 2005 TJ jeep. It has six driving lights and a 9000 Lb Warren winch. The problem I see with all this battery usage is that I can only find one battery under the hood which is my starting battery. I would like to redue it right and add some more battery power. The only problem I see, is where can I find room for another battery. I am open for suggestions. I have never seen so much cramed under the hood like this.

I'm sure about on your tj but on my 97 there seems to be space right under the master cylinder looks like the exact spot the battery sits on in the opposite side

There are some great write ups on 2nd batteries and on if extra is really needed. I have many aux lights but no winch. Anyway I use my lights only off road and for short lengths do I use all at the same time. So you will unlikely really put all that draw on the system. Second it is a system, composed of a battery and alternator. Most running power is from the alternator. It will only draw on the battery if the demand is greater than the alt output. So I'd look at a larger output alt first. Lastly unless you plan on winching with the engine off and for long periods a battery and higher output alt should do fine.

Ask more people who do a lot of winching if they use dual batteries. From what I see it is split.:beer:

There's a good 136a alternator upgrade from Dodge vans and trucks if you want to do a web search for it.

I run a single Optima Bluetop and it keeps up with my Warn winch just fine, even on the longest pulls. The nice thing about the Optima yellow and bluetop batteries is that they're a combo deep cycle/starting battery so they're perfect for a Jeep/winch application. They can withstand multiple deep discharge cycles and still start the Jeep reliably.

Back