Jumps on turns

jsk56

Hello. I have a 93 Grand Cherokee equipped with QuadaTrac - full time 4WD. The vehicle jumps on turns - like when turning into a parking space. I'm afraid that I have transfer case issues - but then again, I'm no expert on 4WD. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How sharp a turn are we talking about? Close to full lock?
I don't know enough to help troubleshoot the drivetrain, but is it possible that your tires are larger than stock, and making contact when you turn sharply?

It sounds like one of two possible issues.

1. You are in part time 4wd on dry pavement. This should be avoided as the system can bind, causing the symptoms you Are describing. Make sure you are in full time 4wd or 2wd.

2. With the wheels fully turned, the u-joints on the front axle can bind. This is normal if this is when it is happening. If you can put it in 2wd, this should stop.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Unlikely his Jeep has a 2wd option.

Good chance the viscous coupling in the transfer case is going bad, pretty common in your model with the 249 transfer case.

Yup. Swap it out for a 2&4 wheel t-case or just learn to live with it. Replacing the coupler is expensive

Search the Internet for 'Jeep 249/231 swap' if you're interested in upgrading and the 2wd option. 249/242 is another good swap.

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't realize that a swap was an option. I never really liked the Quadra-Trac/Full-Time function - but then again, I'm a newbie to 4WD. I DO know that when it comes to 4WD- Jeep is the best.

Your attitude about Jeeps is a good one :D

Keep us updated if you decide to address this issue. Lots of good write-ups on the web if you're up to swapping in a more reliable transfer case.

I think I will eventually HAVE to do something - it seems to be getting worse. A swap to a 2/4wd case would be the way to go, I think. Thank You again for all of your input. Jeff.

I don't know much about the Grand Cherokee, but is it possible to remove the front driveshaft until you get your case sorted out?

I don't know much about the Grand Cherokee, but is it possible to remove the front driveshaft until you get your case sorted out?

My friend has a jeep wagoneer with the same issue of it jumping when makeing a turn on pavement. I had suggested about removeing the front drive shaft, it just so happened that the previous owner was there and said that with out the front drive shaft in it will not go forward, it would go in reverse for a little bit ,that was it . He could see the transfer case working but no go with out the front driveshaft in, I dont know much but that leads me to believe that the viscous coupler has something to do with that.

I read the other posts real quick and didn't see what I wanted to say so here gos. AWD, or in 4x4 on hard pack surfaces will jerk, jump when making sharp turns such as into parking spaces as you describe, the rear of the jeep is pushing forward as the front of the jeep is trying to pull it in the direction you are steering, and a jumping feeling is the result, it is normal. My brothers automatic grand Cherokee did the same thing, all my jeeps when in 4x4 do the same thing, try not to make such sharp turns as drive shaft ujoints or axle shaft ujoints can break from this action. Coasting into your sharp turns will help, I don't think anything is wrong with your jeep. You do not get this action on loose surfaces such as gravel, mud, soft dirt ect....

It could also be one of the front axle joints is going bad.

69jeepCJ, the full - time 4wd systems should be transparent when turning, no pulling or bucking. It's different than when a part - time 4wd system is engaged.

I'm in agreement with Bounty_Hunter , the NP 242 is a nice t-case. In snow and off pavement , full-time gets you through. Part-time will get you out if your wheels slip . Just got to make sure to take it out of 4 wheel on hard pavement when the road is good (no snow) or hard packed dirt.
If not , that's abuse to it. I don't even shift on the fly , I stop and drop,it in park for smoothest engagement. Definately check the axle u-joints , they're worth changing , ask me how I know. Red dust , found that on my ball joint and wheel bearing job three years ago.

isn't it full time 4wd? I don't know Cherokee systems well at all, but I thought the full time systems were partially engaged at all times, which would cause the jumping while turning? My brothers did the same thing and he had the fulltime system as well so I was basing my statement on his jeep. but, his trany did eventually go out! so there may be more to this than what was thinking.

The wagoneer the broken hearted jeeper has, is in four wheel drive all the time till he hits highway speed of about 45 mph. [ so he claims]

Attachments

• wagoneer 005.JPG
    wagoneer 005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

So what are the list of problems that could be causeing it, is it the viscous coupler?
It generally is the viscous coupler, that's the part that allows differential action between front and rear axles and is responsible for keeping the fulltime 4wd transparent on road.

Back