Replacing the soft top....yes I'm the newbie :)

Ok first thanks all who posted about the "sunroof" so i can have part of the top open:lol:.

I have a 2010 wrangler sport 2 door. I need to replace the soft top on it as the back window is damaged and can not be removed. the zipper teeth on the side about 2/3 way up on the right are messed up on both the window and the body.

My questions are this...

I'm looking at QuadraTop Replacement Soft Tops by Quadratec - Quadratec for their soft top replacment skins. They say 1-2 hours to replace. remember I AM NEW to the jeep world and I'm not the MOST mechanically person...I can use tools and I'm not bad just no car expert.

1. is it really only 1-2 hours to replace?
2. thoughts on the standard for 369.00 and the preminum for $469.00? I live in Central Indiana so we get some wild winters but not the FEET of snow they get in NW and other places.
3. if not Quadratec do you have other suggestions for replacment tops? The skeleton looks to be in great shape so I think all I need is the skin.
4. When i replace the top I've seen several people talk about damaging their windows due to improper storage. Recommendations on how to do this? can they be just laid in the cargo area? do they need to have something in between them to keep from rubbing or anything? I've seen bags and i've seen people talk about making storage bags.
5. other thoughts?

In my 7 years of owning the same jeep, I never had to replace the factory top. It was soft, flexible, and maintained it's color. It's all about maintenance. Clean and lube the zippers and clean the material with the appropriate cleaner. I rolled my windows in one of those felt lined bags that are sold on quadratec. No folding. Keeping it in the shade is a big help, if possible.

As for the new top, I wouldn't know about brand or installation, but I assume the directions will be straight forward. I'm betting the most challenging part of the process would be lining it up. It's probably going to be pretty damn tight right out of the box. I suggest you get some extra muscle.

I replaced the top on my older TJ and it was really no problem. The new ones with the sunrider may be a little tougher but I doubt it. If you can have someone helping you that would be a bonus.

If you don't want your windows to get scratched up then definitely get something to store them in. You could just put towels between them and roll them up but I'd suggest something like this or this. Quadratec is a great place to find anything for your Jeep.

I don't know the differences between those tops but I'd sure say to get the best one you can afford. I had a friend buy a cheap top for his TJ and he HATES it. It doesn't fit as well as the factory one and flaps like crazy on the highway. He is already saving up for a better one.

Good luck in your decision.

You're replacing the top because of the back window?

Unless the top leaks or is ripped... I would not replace it. For the back window it could be a bad zipper. For $5 you could fix it.

Post picks on All that is wrong.

I'll get a pic over the weekend and post it for all to see. Maybe it's repairable. The issue is the teeth on both the window and the body of the of cover are messed up. They are metal teeth. The window unzips from the left up, over and down about an inch then hits the bad section. the right side zips up most of the way to the bad section.

If the zipper is repairable that would be great....LOTS cheaper.

I'll get them posted here THANKs for the suggestion that it may not need replaced.

OK attached are 3 pictures of the zipper. If i can get it fixed at a repair shop that is awesome news.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 155
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 153
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 161

Looks like the pull is loose and may have Damaged the stitching on the teeth. (BTW the teeth are plastic)

Start simple pinch the back of the zipper with needle nose pliers.

Or replace the pull with a new one

Replace the entire zipper.

This could be fixed.

Complexity will depend on whether you have factory hardware and you buy a replacement compatible with the factory hardware. Now I'm not saying factory hardware is the best, I'm just assuming that is what you have. If not, complexity increases as you may need both the top and the hardware kit.

So if you have factory hardware, go for a Quadratec or BestTop replacement and spend as much as you can afford. Within each line, the more expensive tops bring more features, durability, etc.

On installation, watch carefully as the old skin top comes off because the new one will go on in pretty much the opposite way. Try to do the work on a warm or hot day as the heat increases the flexibility of the plastic coated fabric and plastic windows thus making installation easier.

Good luck and give it a try.

Oh, and consider this is a Jeep. Can you just sew the old window closed and use it that way and maybe defer the replacement for a year or more? My top was slashed during a breakin...long story....but I just used a clear piece of plastic as a backing plate and glued the slash closed. Its hard to see from outside, is functional, cost me just $5 for plastic and glue, and has been that way for perhaps 4 years.

Back