YJ POWER STEERING PUMP REPLACEMENT WEIRD ISSUE Need Advice

danielmeyer

bought a '94 YJ Sahara with a 4 cyl. Original issue that started this was the water pump going bad, so as I was taking things apart to get to it I had to remove the power steering pump. As I was trying to loosen one of the PS pump bracket bolts it snapped, and I realized that the other bracket bolt was snapped too. I decided to just get a new PS pump because I'll have to replace it eventually anyways and it was probably the original one. I got the pump out and the pulley off - and i noticed that the three holes for the bolts to mount the PS pump to the bracket on the new pump are not threaded, and the other three spots for bolts on the other side are threadless as well. Anyone got any tips? Im so confused why a factory would leave all of the holes not threaded on a new PS pump. Should I just get a larger size bolt and try to thread it? I'm dumb founded.
Dumb pump.jpg

Perhaps a snafu from the factory. Take both of the units back to the place you purchased the pump. Ask them what is up with this issue.

Post up part numbers for new. That is not the correct pump.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Yep you were right JPNinPA. A '92 YJ power steering pump fit but mine's a '94. Once again confused. Think previous owner did an engine swap with a 92?

Maybe..
Maybe the wrong one made it into the box. Was it a open box sale or return?
Cause 92 & 94 use the same AC Delco part number.

Anyway Im glad you figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back