Rubicon Express budget boost lift kit

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking to fit larger tires onto your Jeep, or do any type of offroading / 4x4ing, at some point you will need to install a lift kit. There are several types of lifts (more on this in the suspension section). I chose to install the simplest suspension lift, the coil spring spacer.

I installed the Rubicon Express 2 inch budget boost (RE7030). This is a coil spacer lift kit that comes with new twin tube shocks, and extended bump stops. I installed the coil spacer kit on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ, taking this chance to replace the shocks with new ones from the kit (read the entire lift kit install here). I'm of average mechanical experience, and own air tools (not required, but helpful) along with standard jacks and had tools. The install took me longer that it would most (ending up at 10 hours).

In my opinion this is a very good lift kit. I was worried about the shocks at first, but they feel great, in fact - they are much smoother than the factory shocks that they replaced. The ride of my Wrangler is unchanged (save for the smoother shocks), and the height increase of 2 inches is perfect for the 31 inch tires I run.

One negative that I will point out about this kit is the horrible instructions (attached below). They include such helpful statements as:
Step 4. Remove rear factory coils
Maybe it's because I've never done this before, but what those four words describe took me a long time to fully comprehend and complete. Alot goes into jacking up the vehicle, dropping the axle down low enough to get that spring out. You'd think they'd make someone go sit at the computer for 2 hours to type up some usable directions - heck, forget the words, just give me 30 photos with arrows! Well, hopefully the directions here will help.

Bad instructions aside, this is a great kit. My TJ rides better than before the lift, and looks great. I would recommend this lift kit to anyone.

Price : $230 (from Muddy Rocks Offroad - great service)
Install time : 10 hours
Overall Rating : Very good lift kit, could use better instructions

Attachments

• rubicon_express_lift_kit.jpg
    rubicon_express_lift_kit.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • Rubicon_Express_budget_boost_instructions.pdf
    407.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Do you have before and after pics? This is what I want to do with mine, since it is a daily driver.

Back