Wrangler Dome Light Switch

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
For months now I've been trying to find a way to take the doors off my Wrangler and have the dome lights stay off.

I tried buying little spring loaded contraptions that would attempt to keep the door pins depressed, but they would pop right off, threatening to put someone's eye out. I also tried pulling the door fuse, which works, but you'll need the fingers of a 6 year old boy to fit in there. Finally I found a solution - Quadratec's TJ Dome Light Switch.

This device is so simple that it's brilliant. You replace the door fuse with two leads that go to a switch (mounted under the dash in reach of the driver). There's an inline fuse to protect your circuit, and the construction of the harness is great.

You can find this switch by going to Quadratec's website and looking for "dome light switch".

The verdict - I love this thing. Probably the best $25 I've spent on my Wrangler so far.

Last edited:

Install instructions and kit contents

Install instructions and the contents of the kit

light_bypass_2_wrangler_dome_light.jpg

light_bypass_1_wrangler_dome_light.jpg

quadratec_wrangler_dome_light.JPG

switch_wrangler_dome_light.JPG

harness_wrangler_dome_light.JPG

Last edited:
Install

To install the kit, first remote the glove box

Attachments

• IMG_0026_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    IMG_0026_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0027_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    IMG_0027_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG_0028_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    IMG_0028_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0029_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    IMG_0029_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 457
Install the harness

Now, you locate the proper fuse (the legend is on the back of the glove box), remove it, and plug in the new harness

Attachments

• fuse_box_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    fuse_box_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 44,029
  • fuse_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    fuse_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 8,532
  • IMG_0061_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    IMG_0061_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 1,411

The switch

At this point, you are supposed to install the door switch supplied by the kit. I however wanted to one-up the makers of this kit, by using my own switch. I purchased a jeep rear wiper switch on ebay, and installed that in the center console. Purely personal preference on my part.

Attachments

• wiperswitch_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    wiperswitch_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 562
  • blank_removed_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    blank_removed_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 634
  • new_switch_installed_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    new_switch_installed_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 505
  • finished_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    finished_wrangler_dome_light.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 690

Where did you get the connector for the new wiper switch?

I bought this also and used the supplied switch mounted to a screw under the glove box. Absolutely worth the money.

Sorry if my Question wasn't clear. The center console switch you purchased from ebay, did it have the wire stubs already connected or was there a connector you purchased to plug into the switch?

The switch that I used was a rear wiper switch. The previous owner just pulled the switch out, and cut the wires, so I got the switch, along with the plug and 6" of wires.

Why install the switch? Simply pull the fuse and the lights go out. Additionally, the lights come on for 10 seconds anytime you turn off the key to assist in getting out, as if the doors are opened. And, the switch on the blinker still works to turn on the dome lights. This is for 05 model atleast. The sole purpose of the fuse is so you can remove the doors or use soft doors.

Why install the switch? Simply pull the fuse and the lights go out. Additionally, the lights come on for 10 seconds anytime you turn off the key to assist in getting out, as if the doors are opened. And, the switch on the blinker still works to turn on the dome lights. This is for 05 model atleast. The sole purpose of the fuse is so you can remove the doors or use soft doors.

I pulled the fuse for the 6 months or so of owning my Jeep, but having the switch is much nicer. You really can't pull the fuse without a pair of pliers, and you have to remove the glove box to get at the fuse. It is nice for the days that I have the doors on and want to arm my alarm.

I want to do the same exact thing in my 05 tj. after i buy the product from quadratec, and the switch, what additional thing such as wiring will i need?

I want to do the same exact thing in my 05 tj. after i buy the product from quadratec, and the switch, what additional thing such as wiring will i need?

Using the kit from quadratec there is no additional wiring needed. It's plug and play.

I got fancy with my factory switch just because I liked the look of the factory switch over what was included with the kit.

i like your idea though. so the wire that comes with the kit will just plug into the back of the switch and that's all i gotta do?

i like your idea though. so the wire that comes with the kit will just plug into the back of the switch and that's all i gotta do?

Yeah. The kit comes with the switch and wiring, including detailed instructions (including photos). Take a look at the directions at the beginning of this thread.

but if i get a different rocker switch will i need anything additional? will it still just plug in the back to one of those prongs?

but if i get a different rocker switch will i need anything additional? will it still just plug in the back to one of those prongs?

Depends on the rocker switch you buy. The factory rear wiper switch I used only had bare wires (as you can see in the photos above).

Back