softopper yj top

superj

my softopper yj top came yesterday while i was at work. i was so anxious to put it on and then today the wife had us plans to go to a birthday party in the morning so i had to put off installing the top again, arggghhhh. anyways, i finally got to put it on. its very interesting.

first, you have to remove your current top. for me, it was the ol hardtop. i had to also find somewhere to put it since i am tires of it being on the ground.

b71bafa2-1.jpg

after that, you are supposed to put on the tub rails and door surrounds. the ones they make are pretty darn good if you don;t have a factory soft top and there for don;t have your own.

you put hte eye bolt on the back

4975c02b-1.jpg

c836f8fb-1.jpg

then you put some brackets on the surround (that i failed to take pics of) and use the leading bolt from the tub rail to hold the surround down.

ff8c2ec2-1.jpg

51c3e02d-1.jpg

bcf3d1f0-1.jpg

adjust the surrounds so they are nice and solidly seated against the door

dfbe342a-1.jpg

9919abd4-1.jpg

and then you will look like this

e5a756c6-1.jpg

next, you put the windshield header channel on. just like anytime you put it on but they send you a smittybuilt two piece unit with the top, i prefer the old one piece unit so i reused mine. since i had removed it and installed it so many times though, i had to add some more screws. as you can tell, i am planning on not removing this top for a long while :) . oh ya, smittybuilt uses some really cheaply made screws. three of them snapped while i was screwing them in to the windshield.

9b7bdb99-1.jpg

after that, you put the rear channels on the back part of the tub. the channels that hold the rear window down

1e3383ce-1.jpg

b2592616-1.jpg

then you lay the top on

85db6aa6-1.jpg

a8ab5dd3-1.jpg

it has some cool side straps and hte one from rear to front

ce088f4a-1.jpg

after that, you put the windows on, just like the factory top, zip in and zip the rear window in and clip everything down on the bottom

6aec1a69-1.jpg

50988cfa-1.jpg

c2e47992-1.jpg

having never owned a soft to vehicle, it went well. two hours or so to put it on and that includes the spots you have to drill for the 3/8s bolts that hold the channels and brackets in place. there is also a little storage place above the driver's head where the windows go when you have them off. its pretty cool

e1c079be-1.jpg

the kids like it too

ok, first drive on the highway with it. it flaps a pretty fair amount when you are driving into a headwind. i am going to tighten everything back up tomorrow again and see if it helps with that. the kids thought the windows were very funny from the inside because they are plastic and flexible and wanted to touch them a lot. i had to explain how soft top windows are and how they scratch very easily from dirt and finger tips.

it was not as quiet as a hardtop but not overly loud either. when you roll the windows up, everything is nicely sealed up. i think rain leaks are not going to be something i will have to worry about because the doors seal up tightly, just like on the hardtop

Back