Exogate Tire Carrier

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not a fan of large swing away tire carriers that would require you to open the tire carrier, then open your trunk – I like the stock tailgate mounted tire carrier better. When you move up to a 33+ inch tire you start having problems – the weight of the tire will cause the tailgate to sag, and in extreme cases can rip the tailgate off. I needed to upgrade, but wanted something semi-stock, so I was pretty stoked when I found the Exogate for Wrangler TJs and LJs from GR8TOPS.

This kit basically beefs up the existing setup, providing a new frame and braces for the tailgate, and heavy-duty hinges. Installation isn’t too hard and doesn’t require any drilling or permanent modifications to your Jeep.

Stock Jeep TJ:

02-stock-wrangler-tire-carrier.jpg

With the Exogate installed

03-exogate-installed.jpg

Here’s the complete Exogate kit:

01-exogate-TJ-tire-carrier.jpg

And the factory install directions (as of 2012-08-24):
Download Exogate install directions

Installing is pretty straight forward, just start by removing your existing tire:

04-tire-removed.jpg

Unplug the 3rd brakelight wire by opening up the tailgate

05-jeep-electricial-access-panel.jpg

Unscrew the screw and pop off the cover

06-tailgage-electrical-wiring.jpg

Then unplug the wires, they just pull off (note where each goes for reassembly)

07-unplug-tailgate-wires.JPG

08-unplug-tailgate-wires.jpg

Unbolt and remove the tire carrier (and give it a good wipe down)

09-remove-tire-carrier.jpg

10-removed-tire-carrier.jpg

11-cleaned-up.jpg

Now pop off the hinge covers

12-remove-hinge-cover.JPG

13-remove-hinge-cover.JPG

14-remove-hinge-cover.JPG

15-remove-hinge-cover.JPG

16-remove-hinge-cover.JPG

Now, leaving the tailgate closed, remove the hinges

17-hinges-removed.jpg

Now that the hinges are removed, you’ll have to install the roll bar tie in.

18-remove-seat-belt.jpg

19-remove-rollbar-bolt.jpg

20-remove-rollbar-bolt.jpg

21-tire-carrier-support.jpg

This was the only part of the install that caused me problems. This is how the hinges should be setup (this is a photo from the instructions – note the short side and position of the acorn nuts).

22-correct-hinge-setup.jpg

And this is how they came

23-hinges-from-the-factory.jpg

I fiddled quite a bit with the hinges trying to get things lined up before I eventually compared my hinges to the instructions. Not a big deal in hindsight, but it would have been nice if they came either correctly assembled the hinges at the factory, or not assembled them at all.

After figuring out the hinges, I mounted the body side (don’t forget the provided spacers)

24-mounted-hinges.jpg

25-mounted-frame.jpg

26-mounted-tire-carrier.jpg

Next mount the tire carrier and install the rest of the bolts

27-install-tire-carrier-bolts.jpg

I then mounted the tire bumpstops and my 3rd brakelight. Since I’m running the stock spare tire I was forced to notch my 3rd brakelight to make things fit (I plan on either getting a different rim, or a wheel spacer in the future). This isn't a fault of the Exogate, since I could have installed more spacers behind the tire to make it fit - I just didn't want the tire sticking out farther than it needed to. You can also see the 4 pieces of PVC pipe that I used to raise the height of the 3rd brakelight.

28-mounting-brake-light.JPG

09-mounting-tire-carrier.JPG

30-mounting-tire-carrier.JPG

31-mounting-tire-carrier.JPG

29-brake-light-knotch.JPG

There are a few different mounting heights you can choose when setting up the Exogate – I opted for the lowest setting, so that less of my rear view would be obstructed. If you prefer (or have a larger tire) you could mount the tire higher. Once installed the action of the carrier is nice and smooth, and the tailgate of my Jeep now shuts with a good solid feel. There are no vibrations in the tire as I hit bumps in the highway, and after about 6 months of use the tire carrier feels as good as the first day it was installed.

32-exogate-tire-carrer-installed.JPG

33-exogate-with-tire-installed.jpg

34-exogate-tire-carrier.jpg

In my opinion this is a fantastic tire carrier, and at $400 it’s cheaper than most traditional swing away carriers. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase this tire carrier again.

Attachments

• GR8TOPS-Exogate-Installation.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 484
Last edited:

Wow that looks awesome... I like this kind of stuff. But i think its little costly because according to the URL which you have share in starting of you post the price of this tire mount is 385 bucks which is too much for me. Anyhow but you shared very nice product thanks for sharing.

Wow that looks awesome... I like this kind of stuff. But i think its little costly because according to the URL which you have share in starting of you post the price of this tire mount is 385 bucks which is too much for me. Anyhow but you shared very nice product thanks for sharing.

$400 isn't cheap, but it's below the starting point for most swing away tire carriers.

They've priced that out of reach of a lot of Jeepers, seems for what little you get it would sell so much better in the $200-$250 range. When you get close in price to a swing-out tire carrier, many Jeepers will buck up just a little more for a heavier bumper and swing-out.

Nice write-up, thanks for taking the time. Guess it was someone's first day on the job assembling the hinges.

Back