Fluid Film rust protection

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm keen on trying to keep my Jeep rust free, and living in an east coast beach town, that can be a hard thing to do. Last summer I decided to try a rust preventative, and after doing some research I decided to try Fluid Film. I picked my can up at Home Depot for around $10, but you can also get it on Amazon - one can was enough to do my entire Jeep.

IMG_2362_fluid-film-rust-protection-jeep.JPG

If your Jeep is really dirty, you should hose it off and give that time to dry, however all I did was spray it on the frame of my Jeep, and the axles. It isn't slick like tire shine, but instead it is sticky, and really clings. The smell isn't too bad. It has a pretty strong stream, so you can really reach everywhere.

IMG_2370_fluid-film-rust-protection-jeep.JPG

This is what it looks like after you've applied it:

IMG_2375_fluid-film-rust-protection-jeep.JPG

It's now a year later, and I'd say this was money well spent. The film itself lasted the entire winter. I plan to apply this again. If you live in the rust belt, then you should check this out.

I'm keen on trying to keep my Jeep rust free, and living in an east coast beach town, that can be a hard thing to do. Last summer I decided to try a rust preventative, and after doing some research I decided to try Fluid Film. I picked my can up at Home Depot for around $10, but you can also get it on Amazon - one can was enough to do my entire Jeep.

View attachment 23185

If your Jeep is really dirty, you should hose it off and give that time to dry, however all I did was spray it on the frame of my Jeep, and the axles. It isn't slick like tire shine, but instead it is sticky, and really clings. The smell isn't too bad. It has a pretty strong stream, so you can really reach everywhere.

View attachment 23186

This is what it looks like after you've applied it:

View attachment 23187

It's now a year later, and I'd say this was money well spent. The film itself lasted the entire winter. I plan to apply this again. If you live in the rust belt, then you should check this out.

Where do you live in the east coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Thanks for the tip. I recently got an ‘06 TJ with a shockingly clean frame and I want to try to keep it that way. I’m outside Philly. Were you able to get any inside the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

You said it's sticky, what happens when your off road in dirt all day ? Does all the dust/dirt stick to it ?

Thanks for the tip. I recently got an ‘06 TJ with a shockingly clean frame and I want to try to keep it that way. I’m outside Philly. Were you able to get any inside the frame?

I didn't really try to get it into the frame - other than squirting a bit in the wholes. I've heard of people tying a rag coated in protectant to a rope, and pulling the rag through the frame. That may work in this case, but I think you'd be better off dipping the rag in some sort of oil.

You said it's sticky, what happens when your off road in dirt all day ? Does all the dust/dirt stick to it ?
I didn't offroad with it, however I did drive through a winter's worth of muck and sludge, and didn't get any additional stuff stuck to the frame. I think it becomes less sticky over time.

I'm still very happy with this product, and continue to use it.

Back