Fuel Problem

brockchildress

The other day I went out and tried to start the jeep and it started up and then just died. Well I figured out its not getting gas. Changed the fuel filter, no luck. Changed the fuel pump and the pump relay and no luck. I can't hear the pump running when I turn the key on either. I left the pump out of the tank and turned the key and it came on so I thought it was good but I put the pump in the tank and I can't hear it running and theres no fuel pressure in the lines. I also tried the ballist resister trick by putting a jumper wire between them and no luck. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would help thanks.

I´d prick the orange cable at the fuel pump, use a volt meter or trouble light to make sure I´m getting juice. Fuel pump is hard to hear on occasion, especialy when it has reached pressure.
I´d also prick the black wire (ground) and test with a voltmeter or trouble light, if it shows volts or a dim light it could be a bad ground. After you have pricked the wire a dab of silicon will seal the insulation back up again. Sometimes shaking the wires a little will make a temp. contact, tipping you off, there is a loose connection or a flex broken wire core (happens often at the window motors).
I´ve seen wires, due to vibration, break under the insulation (really hard to find) and just a few strands holding the core wire together and contact becomes a sometimes, hit or miss thing, you get juice, but not enough to do you any good, unless the wire is in a good position.
I´d disconnect the fuel line at the pump and filter and blow through there, Often when emptying a filter, you will find chunks of the rubber line, in the filter. The lines get old and rot, sometimes from the inside out. I´ve found plugged fuel lines on occasion, either rubber chunks or rust.

Depending on the year of your XJ there is a tech. notice about a pair of reversed wires, at the relay, that under certain conditions causes intermittant pump problems. Also if your remove the relay (4 relay block) as a unit and look undernieath, you may be shocked. They get really cruddy and corroded, underneath and also at the top relay contacts.

Back