Monroe's Load Leveling Shocks ??

76quadtrac

While getting "Bad Vibration" fixed I noticed rear drive shaft has been rubbing on block. I had put on a pair of cheap NAPA shocks 3 months ago and they are leaking oil already. I am going to upgrade shocks this time and am looking at Monroe's coil over Load Leveling shocks. I am curious about Monroe's claim to "level older, sagging supensions". If anyone has tried them I would like to hear from you. They are fairly expensive and I would like to hear if they work before I buy. I pull a small camper during the summer and have it packed with ice fishing equipment during the winter so it might be a good investment. Let me know what you think. :cool: [addsig]

Coil over shocks, while a cheap fix, are generally fairly small shocks, inside the coil. I´d be looking for, a pair of Heckthorn or such on sale. Gas charged shocks. If you can get hold of the complete cataloge, they often have a listing of length, type of fastener and application. Requires a little research, but often one ton applications, will fit in a half ton truck etc. The fronts are usually stiffer than the rears, and a front in a rear application will often stiffen things up a bit.
I´ve had good luck with air lift (coil helpers with an air bag inside), though they do mess with articulation a bit. They are adjustable and I´ve yet to blow one (though I´ve tried). Good for an inch or so of lift, with moderate air pressure.
I´ve never installed the pump and remote adjustment function, figuring with all the tubing and such. It´s just something else to tear loose or break.
I´ve blown a few, air adjustable shocks, in heavier vehicles. But generally they improve the ride, in vehicles with very stiff springs. It lifts the vehicle off the springs a bit, like in the rear of a 3/4 ton. And help minimize the jaring ride.[addsig]

Chuck's right, and also, your extended length is what gives you articulation offroad, so be sure whatever you get will extend farther than your stock shock. You want that spring to do its work and push the tire into the ground when you're off camber, and if the shock is too short, the less travel the wheel has. [addsig]

Well I did it anyway! The shocks added 2 1/2 inches in lift and the ride has improved tremendously. My driveshaft does not rub anymore and the block hasn't been touched. It took a little more to get them on but it was worth it. Thanks for the input. :cool: [addsig]

Darn kids never listen. :lol: Let us know how they hold up, if they work out for you, I may have to rethink Monroe coil overs. The only time I´ve ever used them, was the rear of a pickup, to get a little more load capacity (keep the stops of the axle). Didn´t hold up well, but that was a decade or two ago.[addsig]

Back