YJ pulling HELP!!!

TJSYJ

i was driving my 1994 YJ (2.5 i4, 5 speed, 4in lift, 31/10.5/r15) today and out of nowhere it started pulling really hard to the right while on the gas, but then when i put the brakes on it pulled even harder to the left. then after driving for another minute it started smelling like something electrical was burning. i pulled over and checked the tires and they were fine. the smell seemed to be coming from the front end near the brakes. my question is what could be causing the odd pulling?

thanks,
T.J.

Sounds like your right front brake caliper is seized. Feel each front rim after a short drive and see if they're hot to the touch.

You can run the caliper piston back in with a c-clamp and it should work fine, but will be prone to seizing again until replaced.

thanks guys! ill pull the tires off tomorow in the morning and check my brakes. thanks again!

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue with my 91 YJ! It sat for about a year and and now almost every time I drive it, the passenger front brake locks. Should I get new calipers?

Not necessarily.

Inspect the lines and hoses going to the sticking side. Any kink can act like a check valve and lock the brake. Second inspect both sides of the rotor. I had one on a ford with a soft spot in it. Every morning it would lock first time. Next clean, inspect and lubricate the glides and where the pads ride.
Then bleed the brakes.

If the glides look rusted or stick replace the glides.
If the caliper piston looks rusted where it rides on the seal. Replace the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back