Death Wobble

Berto

I really need help, dont know where or who to go to, i got a 2008 jeep wrangler sahara and install a 3 inch lift , all that was done was springs, shocks, just a simple lift , it was fine for a few months but then i started getting the DW when i hit a bump at 60 plus mph, i got a wheel alignment tires balanced but it seems to come back once in awhile, now my wife will not ride with me please help thanks

Have your wife hop in the the Jeep, put the emergency brake on, and with the Jeep running, turn the wheel back and forth - both all the way one way, all the way the other, then a bunch of quick back and forth. You'll lay on the ground in front of your Jeep, and play close attention to things like the trackbar bolt, all four tie rod ends, and just anything connected to the steering system. This whole process is typically called a "dry steer test".

You've got some slop or play in the system somewhere. This comes from components wearing down.

Here's our big death wobble thread:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29510-wrangler-death-wobble-what-causes-how-fix.html
Take a look at the videos there.

Check the bushing at the axle end of it. Replace if worn and check the steering stabilizer. Eliminated mine. Good luck, hope it works out.

Almost guaranteed it's the track bar. Or at a minimum the track bar 2007 - at least 2014 has a faulty track bar. Being you have a lift get a new front and rear adjustable track bar. Also be sure the bolt on the axel side is the same size as the holes and the collet shaft. I and many others go as far as buying grade 8 bolts that fit tight even if it means drilling out a bit.

And Terry is right do the dry steer in the event the DW took out more components. After you correct it all get an alignment and high speed balance the tires.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I suffered with this for 8 years with my 2005 wrangler. Well, I fixed it. I went out and got a new 2017 4 door wrangler. Very nice rig. I did everything to my TJ and none of it changed a thing. I really thing the problem is that the older wranglers have too short wheel base. Live with it or sell it.

Sorry to hear you had issues, Bob. The tj issues were fixable mostly components gone bad and alignment. The 07 and newer JK have a bad track bar from the factory. Not sure they ever redesigned it.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Sorry to hear you had issues, Bob. The tj issues were fixable mostly components gone bad and alignment. The 07 and newer JK have a bad track bar from the factory. Not sure they ever redesigned it.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

My 05 Wrangler from new shook so bad I would half to come to a complete stop to get to get it to quit. Over the years I did all you could do to get this right. Alignment, tires, shims in the front end, new bushings, shocks, steering shocks. This list is long with no fix. There is a long list on these forms about this subject. I heard them all and believe there are some owners that did manage to fix their Jeeps. My first Jeep was a 85 CJ 5 and then the 05 Wrangler. Both were two door short wheel base. This will be my 4th Jeep. Now with my new 2017 Unlimited I hope I don't half to worry about it anymore.

When I replaced my front sway bar bushings it took care of the issue for me but mine wasn't lifted

I suffered with this for 8 years with my 2005 wrangler. Well, I fixed it. I went out and got a new 2017 4 door wrangler. Very nice rig. I did everything to my TJ and none of it changed a thing. I really thing the problem is that the older wranglers have too short wheel base. Live with it or sell it.

You do not have to live with it, it can be fixed. My 2004 had it for years until I finally just took it to a 4wd shop that actually knew what they were doing and had them repair it. I believe it was the trackbar they replaced. Good luck and hope you get it fixed.

Back