New to jeeps - restoring/rebuilding 82 CJ7

wgmccandless

Dad gave me his old 82 CJ7 jeep. Hasn't run in 15 to 20 years. Hauled it from Austin, Tx to Edmond, OK to begin a rebuild process. Hope to be driving it by Christmas. Am replacing a ton of parts and components, rebuilding the engine and a complete new paint job.

Advice is appreciated. Also should have spare parts like wheels and other older components if there is a market for that kind of stuff.

Will

Attachments

• image-1934843006.jpg
    image-1934843006.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 498
  • image-1570131939.jpg
    image-1570131939.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 930
  • image-1186843471.jpg
    image-1186843471.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 1,119

It does look fun. I too am going without doors (hard to find replacements without rust). Also waiting a bit on the soft top. Have you ever used your winch? I got a new front bumper that accepts a winch, but not sure how handy it really is.

It does look fun. I too am going without doors (hard to find replacements without rust). Also waiting a bit on the soft top. Have you ever used your winch? I got a new front bumper that accepts a winch, but not sure how handy it really is.
Actually I have only used my winch a few times when my Jeep was not running and had to be towed home. I used the winch to pull the CJ up into to the yard out of the drive where I put it to repair it. Was handy for that. Think it depends on what your planning to do with your Jeep if you really need one or not. The winch was on mine when I bought it so have just kept it in case I need it someday. BTW yours is looking good!

Sent from my XT1585 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Hey I've done a couple of these!! they are a blast to rebuild! one thing that helped me tremendously was that an early 90's tub fits on the old frame and is exactly the same as the CJ except for the gas hole and tailgate hinges which can easily be changed with a simple cut and weld!! good luck lemme know if you need any other help!!

Let me know if you'd like to turn this into a build thread. I'd love to see more pictures of the build.

Back