76 cj

xt master

I am looking to buy another Jeep and am very interested in a 76 Cj. What are the problems I should look for? I am not as familiar with CJ issues. Also is this Jeep worth $6500 and a 16 hour drive round trip?
Screenshot_2017-02-18-05-53-29.png

Sent from my VS880 using Jeepz.com mobile app

The 76 cj should have came factory with either the 258 6cyl or the 304 v8, t150 3spd trans, dana20 tcase, dana30 front axle and AMC 20 rear axle.. The AMC 20 has a bad rap because of the two piece axle shafts, (the axle flange is hold on by a big nut at the end of the axle) the nut loosens and strips. I have had many, many cj,s over the years and only one developed a problem. The 3spd should hold up to the 360 as it came stock behind the 304. the frame should be channeled and not boxed like later years which helps prevent rusting (76 was last year for channel frame on cj) but look for rust on the frame around the rear shackle mounts. Only real issue with the fiberglass tubs are GROUNDS, everything has to be grounded to the frame. Most body kits use a big grounding strap. I would shoot for around $5,000, if it were steel body it would be worth more. looks nice by the way

They have one piece axle kits for the AMC 20 that run around $300- $400, and once installed many consider the 20 to be as strong or stronger that the 44. I ran a 20 with the kit and a locker for years with no trouble. Let us know if you get it... cheers!!

I been talking to the guy and they did not put a full ground bar behind the dash and ran separate ground wires to the frame only problem he said the radio quits some times he thinks it is a ground issue and suggested putting a proper ground bar for all connections.

Sent from my VS880 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back