TRANSMISSION CODES GALORE...what happened?? P0700,P0731,P0733,P0876,P0888,P0891,P1790

donaldj79

OK...Bought an 05 Grand Cherokee HEMI with 195K Miles, Truck was running fine. I was letting someone take it for a Test Drive and the Heater Core Blew. Fixed that. Next the Power Steering Pump was whining. Fixed that. After replacing the Power Steering Pump, the Truck wouldn't shift!! Long hesitation going into Drive and long hesitation going into Reverse. Truck is in Limp Mode. Even when I use the Auto Stick and put it in 1st Gear, Truck does not engage. I have to raise the RPMs to get the truck to move at all.

Here are my questions:
Could the mechanic have done anything at all wrong when changing out the Power Steering Pump?? Knicked a wire? Cut a ground? Anything at all that would show these symptoms?

Would the water/antifreezee ingress from the Heater Core leaking on the passenger side Floor Board have fried the Shifter Module, PCM or BCM? I do see a line of wires running down the right hand side of the passenger floor board. I have dried the Floor Board out as much as I could.

After replacing the Heater Core, the truck drove fine. I did see the radio going in and out and the horn would blare out of nowhere. So I assumed something got wet. But not sure what exactly. Truck still drove fine. I put about 60 or 70 miles on it since the Heater Core was replaced. NEVER a shifting or transmission issue. Only started after the Power Steering Pump was changed. Which leads me to believe he did something...

Here are the codes...P0700, P0731, P1790, P0868, P0733, P0944, P0732, P0876, P0888, P0891

I read some other posts about P0888-transmission control module off. I checked all fuses and swapped relays for the EATX. No Change!!!

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have NO experience with these Jeeps.

Re: TRANNY CODES GALORE...what happened?? P0700,P0731,P0733,P0876,P0888,P0891,P1790,P

I cannot help but hopefully someone else can. I just wanted to let you know people are reading this.

Re: TRANNY CODES GALORE...what happened?? P0700,P0731,P0733,P0876,P0888,P0891,P1790,P

ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I looked in my manual for P0731 and saw the below. It seems to reference several of the DTCs that you're getting.

Possible Causes
CUT UD PISTON SEAL
LOW FLUID LEVEL
CRACKED OR MISINSTALLED PRIMARY OIL FILTER OR SEAL
STUCK OR STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE
FAILED OVERRUNNING CLUTCH
CUT UD ACCUMULATOR SEAL RING
BROKEN UD ACCUMULATOR PISTON
BROKEN REACTION SHAFT SUPPORT SEAL RING
LOW LINE PRESSURE
BROKEN / MISSING MAIN VALVE BODY BLEED ORIFICE
BROKEN / MISSING DRIBBLER ORIFICE ASSEMBLY IN REACTION SHAFT SUPPORT
POOR MACHINING ON PUMP VALVE BODY FACE
INPUT SPEED SENSOR AND RELATED WIRING
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Theory of Operation

The transmission system uses two speed sensors, one to measure input RPM and one to measure output RPM.
These inputs are essential for proper transmission operation. Therefore, the integrity of this data is verified through
the following checks:

1) Once in a particular gear, if the gear ratio varies from the correct gear ratio, the corresponding in-gear trouble
code is set (DTCs P0731–36).

2) An excessive change in input or output speeds indicating signal intermittent may result in the DTCs P0715 and/or
P0720 being set.

3) If the common speed sensor ground circuit is lost, both sensor inputs will read the pulses from the input speed
sensor when at a stop in neutral. Since the input speed sensor reads 60 teeth from the input clutch hub and the
output speed sensor reads 30 teeth from the park gear, the result is an apparent speed ratio of 1:2 and may cause
the DTC P1794 to set.

Diagnostic Test

1. DETERMINING IF RELATED DTC’S ARE PRESENT
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTC’s
If any of these DTC’s are present, perform their respective tests first.

Are there any Transmission; solenoid, line pressure, speed sensor, and/or loss of prime DTC’s present?

Yes >> Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom. If any of these DTCs are
present, they may cause a Speed Ratio Error. Perform the test for P0944 first if it is present.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1.

No >> Go To 2

2. CHECK TO SEE IF DTC P0731 IS CURRENT
With the scan tool, perform the 1st Gear Clutch Test. Follow the instructions on the scan tool.
Increase the throttle angle or TPS Degree to 30° for no more than a few seconds.

CAUTION: Do not overheat the transmission.

Did the Clutch Test pass, Input Speed remain at zero?

Yes >> Go To 3

No >> Go To 4

3. CHECK FOR INTERMITTENT OPERATION
The conditions to set this DTC are not currently present.
With the scan tool, check the EATX DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
- If the DTC Event Data shows fault P0731 was set in Park, Reverse, or Neutral, replace the Powertrain Control
Module.
- If the DTC Event Data shows fault P0731 set with input RPM = zero, check the input speed sensor and related
wiring.
- If the DTC Event Data shows fault P0731 set with line pressure significantly below desired line pressure, check for
the cause of low line pressure (i.e., oil level, misinstalled or damaged primary filter or filter seal, sticking main reg-
ulator valve in pump, etc.).
- If the DTC Event Data shows fault P0731 set with the UD pressure switch open (but line pressure matches
Desired Line Pressure), air check the UD hydraulic clutch circuit for leakage per the Service Information. If the UD
hydraulic clutch circuit is OK, replace the solenoid/TRS assembly.
Check the gearshift linkage adjustment.
Intermittent Gear Ratio DTCs can be set by problems in the Input and Output Speed Sensor circuits and/or Speed
Sensor Ground circuit.
Remove the Starter Relay.

NOTE: Failure to remove the Starter Relay can cause a Transmission - No Response condition.
Install Transmission Simulator, Miller tool #8333.
Wiggle wiring and connectors while checking for intermittent operation with the Transmission Simulator.
Gear ratio DTC’s can also be set under extreme temperature conditions.
Verify if the problem is only experienced under extreme hot or cold conditions.

Were there any problems found.

Yes >> Repair as necessary.

No >> Test Complete.

4. INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
Repair internal transmission as necessary. Refer to the Service Information.
If there were any line pressure DTC’s present along with this DTC, make sure to inspect the: Primary oil filter and
seal, Transmission Oil Pump, and the Main regulator valve per the Service Information.
If DTC’s P0876 and/or P0875 were present in addition to the P0731, replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS
Assembly in addition to necessary internal repairs.
Pay particular attention to the following list of possible causes when repairing the transmission condition.
- Cut UD piston seal
- Failed overrunning clutch
- Cut UD accumulator seal ring
- Broken UD accumulator piston
- Broken reaction shaft support seal ring
- Low line pressure
- Broken/missing main valve body bleed orifice
- Broken/missing dribbler orifice assembly in reaction shaft support
- Poor machining on pump valve body face
- Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly

View repair.

Repair
Repair internal transmission per the Service Information.

Any chance you're low on transmission fluid?

P0868-LINE PRESSURE LOW

Possible Causes

LOW FLUID LEVEL
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
POOR LINE PRESSURE SENSOR CONNECTION
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(T140) PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
LINE PRESSURE SENSOR
CRACKED, PLUGGED, OR MISINSTALLED PRIMARY OIL FILTER
STUCK OR STICKING MAIN REGULATOR VALVE

hi had same codes on my g/cherokee 2002 2.7crd for weeks i tried to get it sorted turn off engine light a few time the last time it went into limp mode would not come out so took to transmission shop the car had started fist time even in cold weather the shop got all codes up changed battery since then been perfect try a new battery. hope this helps.

TRANNY CODES GALORE...what happened?? P0700,P0731,P0733,P0876,P0888,P0891,P1790,P0944

I agree with the two suggestions.

Battery-bad battery or connections can cause codes to be thrown for no reasons. Get it load tested and inspect and clean wires and connections (both sides) change and wire that looks corroded. At that point change the big three.

Transmission-change the fluid. Verify all electrical connections are clean. Also be sure when the shifter is in P or N the neutral safety switch is met.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back