stalling out when warmed up

MCluvsacj5

My cj 5 starts great when cold but when warmed up to running temp stalls out, let it sit for a few (15) minutes will fire right up again.
It's a 304 with edelbrock hi rise, 625 carter afb (rebuilt last year) & a healthy cam. I have added a 1" phenolic spacer under carb, new ignition switch, new plugs & wires, installed a new module in the DUI distributor, even new electric fuel pump. Can't drive 2 miles w/o
it stalling out. Can someone please help ? :cry:

Have you checked your oil and radiator fluid to make sure there not mixed.could be a bad head gasket that starts to warp when warmed up.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Have you checked your oil and radiator fluid to make sure there not mixed.could be a bad head gasket that starts to warp when warmed up.

Jeep! not just a vehicle a way of life.

Yes I have checked those too, oil is clean as is the coolant. Could it be vapor lock, how do I check that ?

Does your fuel line run over an area that heats up. When the engine heats up it could vapor lock. You could temporarily use tinfoil as a heat shield. Or Reroute the line.

Is the fuel pressure constant through the cool hot period?
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Does your fuel line run over an area that heats up. When the engine heats up it could vapor lock. You could temporarily use tinfoil as a heat shield. Or Reroute the line.

Is the fuel pressure constant through the cool hot period?
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Sometimes it seems like it runs out of gas, I will investigate that next. Thanks for all the responses
I will keep you guys informed with my progress
maybe this will help someone else with similar problem.

Sometimes it seems like it runs out of gas, I will investigate that next. Thanks for all the responses
I will keep you guys informed with my progress
maybe this will help someone else with similar problem.

I have a 95 and I have the same problem except it’s even more bizarre. The first thing I thought to replace was the crankshaft position sensor in the bell housing, did that, also replaced the ignition coil to be safe. Thought it was all and good when I figured out that my old sensor was melted and it started right up after a quick unplug and reset it recognized the sensor and all was good. But now it doesn’t seem heat related. I let it idle til it got hot and then drove it around a little and it seemed like exactly after 3 minutes of very casual driving it stalled. But started right back up afterwards. Can not be a fuel issue, I just replaced fuel pump 2 weeks ago before putting a new tranny in last weekend. And it ran fine up until I put the new tranny in. At this point I’m at a loss and have no idea what I’m to do about the stalling. It could possibly be a grounding issue but I’d already gone over all the grounding points and made sure they were all good, if something were also loose I’d think it would stall when I U-turned and dipped off the road a little and not stall on the smoothest part of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I hate carbs, only because they can be a challenge to tune since I ain’t no mechanic. So I put a Multiport fuel injection on my 304. Now before that I wrestled with the carb set up some of the things I ran into was not making sure the fuel going in was filter first, idle jets are small and clog up so when warm will cause stalling. Also not having a good gasket on the carb base and tightened well can cause a leak once warm. Not sure what to advise about the distributor as I tossed the old points for the new electronic ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Do you guys realize you are responding to a post that is 2 yrs old and there is no one on the other end, :lol: . Ive done the same thing.

Well the one has a similar issue.
Likely searching for the fix. And tagged onto this.

To HexedHero
Crank sensors CKP usually have a paper gasket that gets peeled off on startup. It’s there to space the sensor from the flywheel. If reinstalled its likely damaged by the flywheel..

Use OEM sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back