Turning Left makes all indicator lights blink

Aloha, I am new to this forum. So forgive me if I didn't title it correctly. I have 2 YJ's. My newest one is a 95 4cyl manual. Left blinker was barely working a very faint signal but also caused the Right side to make a slight flash as well. Hazards work fine. So I replaced the flasher.....Right side still works fine, and now left side it working, BUT it still causes all the Right indicator lights to also flash. Any ideas on where the short might be or what else would cause this?
Thanks for your help.
Greg

Start with cleaning the ground to the left. Do the front/rear work or do they behave the same?

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks I will check that this weekend. Today I replaced all the bulbs and then compared to my other YJ. And here is what is now happening; The lower bulb with 2 filaments seems to be working backwards. When you turn on the headlights the lower filament which is the Bright one lights up, on my jeep that works the oppasit happens. When you then turn on the turn signal it hardly noticable. Basicly the wrong filament lights up for what you are doing. And this is confirmed by comparing both jeeps side by side. Do you still think this is a ground issue? And when you say the ground to the left, left of what?
Thanks a bunch for your help
Greg

By left I mean the Left side of the jeep that is having the light issue. Though cleaning both side grounds will be good.

If it's not the ground point of the lights, it is the multifunction switch. But I'd say most of the time this happens it is the ground. These ground points are behind the grill under the hood. Remove the screw lightly sandpaper both sides of each.include one metal of the body and cap of the screw and reassemble.

You could do some searching on what others may have found but most of the time it's the ground connection.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:

So I have cleaned as many grounds as I can find, the lights then self seem to be grounded by the 3 bolt that bolt the tail light fixture to the body. Only 3 wires, one white one for the reverse light and the other two go to the bulb thats acting strange. Green and one White/Black. Now all thats wrong is the wrong filiment is ligting up for the wrong thing, so that when you turn on the head lights its the brake lights, and visa versa. I am looking for ground you discuss and in doing so I have noticed that under the hood in the fuse box there is a flasher for the emergency blinkers, and then under the dash that fuse box has two flashers, I was assuming one was for the emergency and one for the signals? Any other thoughts, before I keep looking for more grounds to clean? Here are some photos IMG_4213.JPGIMG_4211.JPG

In the below picture there is a bolt just above the headlight that is attaching the headlight ground to the body. This is the driver side. There is one on the passenger side.

4e853f2e6652bf320dcd04caabbdc100-1.jpg

I'll try to load again tomorrow.

If it's not the headlight grounds it is the multifunction switch. It's fairly easy to change. There is a U tube video by dorman on how to.

Last edited:
Thanks!! All my grounds are nice and shiny now, but this was not hte problem, but glad I did it as they were all looking a bit cororded, our salt air does that here. You are going to think I am stupid but here is what the issue was. The bulbs have those nipples on the side that are off set, to keep you from putting in wrong, well my driver side the receptical only lets you put the bulb in one way, the correct way, but the passenger side receptical is worn out and you can put the bulb in either way with ease, and thus causing the contacts on the bulb to be on the wrong contact for the wires.....now why this makes dash board lights go on when you hit the brakes I do not know but it makes since as to why the wrong filiment would light up for Brakes/Driving lights. Problem fixed. Thanks for all your help!!!

Check your plug socket on the truck. If the problem exists with and without the trailer then the problem is from the pigtail forward. You have to open up the pigtail and the plugs to see if there is not one stray strand of wire causing the issue.

Back