What's up with Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil?

bradleyheathhays

'96 XJ 4.0 here and I was wondering what's up with this Mobile 1 oil I've just found. Website says it's good for a full year or 20k miles, whichever comes first. I've been using Mobil 1 high mileage/extended life and change out every 5k miles with a Wix filter. Should I switch over to this stuff and just change out every year (which is 10 k for me)?

Btw, apparently it's only offered in 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.

My concern with it is - will the filter work well enough to keep the oil clean that long ... and what about condensation if you have short trips?

They may claim that the oil won't break down until 20K miles but you will still have a years worth of floating metal in the oil which wears out other parts. I'll keep changing my oil regularly like always with regular dino juice. BTW, yes, short trips are bad for your car. Ever start your Jeep and see A little water come out of the exhaust pipe ? Do you still see it when after you drive it for awhile ?

I'm also one who thinks fresh oil and filter on a regular basis is the better choice.
I'm a fan of synthetic though.

I've actually never paid attention to my tailpipe but sounds like I should. What would it mean if water keeps coming out even after its been driven for a while?

The condensation should burn up fairly quick, when it doesn't that often means a leak in the cooling system - often a head gasket, you'd see white smoke in the exhaust.

I would continue with the regular* ESPECIALLY if new and under warranty.

*@5K change

Back