Leaking like mad

theNomad

Hi everyone ...
My 06 LJ is having "issues" and I am not a mechanic type guy But I can take pictures :)
Here is the deal ... She is leaking coolant badly. I can tell where the leak is coming from but I have not a clue on repair or costs of repair .

The leaking is coming from the area around the blue gasket that looks to me to be deformed .
IMG_0642.JPG

Whatcha Think ?

Welcome to Jeepz.com!
You want to find the highest point where the coolant is coming out. It looks like it may be coming out from behind the pulleys on your engine, which would be in the area of the water pump. The waterpump has what's called a "weep hole" which leaks as the bearings in the waterpump wear out. Take a look at these videos:

I wouldn't take it for a given that the waterpump is leaking - look at those first two videos and see where the leak is, and see if your Jeep is doing the same thing. Above the waterpump is the thermostat, and it's possible that it's leaking from there. It can be confusing at times, because the fan it blowing everything around when the engine is on.

I did my waterpump last year after I noticed coolant puddles on the ground (2005 TJ). Its wasn't hard, and took me three hours for my first time. Just borrow / rent the tools from your local parts store - the hardest part is getting the fan off. It's also really easy to puncture the radiator, so you may want to remove that (I didn't).

I replaced my water pump a few years ago.tye fan is the hardest part. A tip is to cut the shroud in half comes out a lot easier.then when reinstalling the shroud drill some holes along the seem and cross stitch tie straps. Makes life a lot easier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Jeepz.com mobile app

It was the water pump. Followed the videos on replacement ... no problems. More importantly no more leaks . Thanks Y'all

Back