Power Steering bubbling over

So putting all the sun in my 95 wrangler I noticed the power steering fluid box was bubbling oil out the top of it when I stoped, no warning noises that you typically here one power steering fluid is low. I filled it back up with some oil it didn't take much maybe an ounce or 2. This Time I started getting the typical noise and oil bubbled out top and when I looked inside there are a lot of air bubbles coming up. Is the pump bad? Blocked oil line???

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

sounds like a bad pump but maybe its just getting air out? turn the wheel back and forth and fill it then do it again. if it keeps doing it, I would say bad pump or blocked line

There is a fill procedure to follow
After a long time parked with the engine off turn the wheel to the full left. Fill the pump resivoir close to the top. Turn to the full right and fill the pump resivoir. Do this cold and without the engine running. Then full right then left. Do not let the revisor run dry.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:

There is a fill procedure to follow
After a long time parked with the engine off turn the wheel to the full left. Fill the pump resivoir close to the top. Turn to the full right and fill the pump resivoir. Do this cold and without the engine running. Then full right then left. Do not jet the revisor run dry.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Thanks will do it that way

OK I tried bleeding it we did it 90 times all the way to the right all the way to the left....seem like we got all the big bubbles out only just had like a little bit of foam on the top from all the bubbles, but we successfully went 20 back-and-forth turns without any big bubbles. Took it for a drive about 2 miles came back and still boiled over. Power steering pump is cheap so I bought a new one put it on, also had to do about 90 times back-and-forth to get all bubbles out and so far so good thank you everyone for your comments and help.

I would add that after buying a pulley puller for the power steering pulley for 25 bucks and not being able to get the pulley off it was better to just go down to the store and buy a new pulley for the the new pump for 12 bucks. Good news is I have an excuse to buy new tool in the future I'll just buy new pulley, seem to be much cheaper this way.

Back