outside temp not displaying on the dash

laserbeam

It just disappeared a few days ago, is it a censor and is it an easy fix? Also I keep getting a check engine light maybe once a month when I get it checked out it is always something with the gas cap or fuel. They recommended I get a smoke test done, is it worth it? They don't do it at their shop here in town I'd have to go elsewhere to have it done.

I'd start by pulling the codes yourself. You can then paste them here:

I'm not familiar with a smoke test - did they elaborate on what that means?

Please help us help you YEAR,MODEL, ENGINE, TRANS etc.

Free scans at autozone advance and many auto parts stores - record and post ALL codes.

Smoke test - industry standard test to locate EVAP system leaks, a visible 'smoke' is feed into a closed EVAP system to help technican locate leak -

PS before 'smoke' test tell us code.

I'd start by pulling the codes yourself. You can then paste them here:

I'm not familiar with a smoke test - did they elaborate on what that means?

The smoke test was where they filled something I don't know where and waited to see where the smoke came out to see if there was a leak anywhere. I think the smoke test was a color so they could easily find the leak. They also mentioned the gas tank cover could need a new washer on it. Could be something simple. I don't know anything about it just what they told me.

not all EVAP codes are leaks - could be circuits , Thats Why we need the code to advise.

A scan is advised to access ALL codes - and its FREE!

I'm sorry I have a 2005 JGC Laredo, V6 Cylinder engine with 210 HP @5200 RPM. I tried the on off thing with the key and I saw nothing, is my jeep too old for that, it really has nothing in it, just the basics. It's not the jeep I wanted but after being without a car for 3 months I was desperate and bought the first decent thing I found.

take advantage of FREE scans at many part stores.
Are you seeing -- where temp would show?

Post the code they retrieve.

Last edited:

I tried that video above the on off on off 3 times but got nothing, but that jeep was a 2014 mine is a bit older than that, I will try it again maybe I didn't do it right. Also when I got in it this morning the dreaded check engine light was on, so it's been about a month and I would bet it's the same as before but I don't want to take it to the same place because they keep asking me why I'm not taking it for the smoke test. A guy I know who is very good with cars told me not to bother that check engine light just bothers me. I will post codes if I get any. OK, I tried it 3 times and apparently that does not work on my jeep, I got nothing. Do I get the smoke test or not? I'm ready to get rid of the car I'm so sick of seeing that check engine light. Every time I go to Advanced auto I end up leaving because the place is always packed, and they have 2 people working with people who take 45 min to decide what to buy so I end up walking out.

Try Auto Zone, or some other location if you can't get the key trick to work.

Don't get bummed out about the check engine light. You'll get it figured out, it just takes time.

do not get frustrated !!
Computer controlled vehicles require a different thinking AND different tools.

The amount of bad information is the biggest challenge.
Consider getting a scanner. A must have what ever you own.

I had a 98 JGC for I think 3 years and the check engine light was always on, but this one just bothers me, it's like a pet peeve. I'll look around and see if I can find a scanner for a reasonable price. Are there some better than others? Any brand names you could give me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KW902-OBDll...ash=item489117cd67:g:-RAAAOSwZVlXqBxh&vxp=mtr

will this work, it does have the 16 pins but I could not find that OBDI info. Since my stereo is bluetooth enabled but my phone does not work with it must I look for something else? The phone did pair all my contacts but when u make a call the person on the other end cannot hear you, i need a different phone.

Last edited:
Back