axles free spinning

macg61

My 97 Cherokee Sport project car has been on 4 jackstands for front/rear brakes and suspension work. Would someone please explain how the front/rear axles spin freely with the transmission in park?

my guess -
front is likely not locked diff open- its in 2wd.
Rear you are spinning only (L/R?) 1 wheel on a non locker diff.

Or the trans pawl is not engaged BUT it worked ok before - correct?

It worked before. The 4 wheel drive lever is in the 2H position, the other in park. The car was basically a gift from a coworker who said there were only the suspension problems. It drove on to the tow dolly in Long Island NY to me in PA. and off the dolly to its current resting spot. I just wanted to confirm it was ok before i make any more investments in it. Again all 4 axles are free.
Thanks

With the transmission in park and with no locker in the rear when you spin one tire the other tire will spin in the opposite direction. The drive shaft will not turn as the transmission is locked in Park. This is normal. For the front if the transfer case is in 2WD or neutral when you spin one tire the other tire or the driveshaft will turn as well. this is normal. In 4WD and Park the front driveshaft will not turn but the opposite wheel will turn. Normal without a locker.

Thanks for your help Cajack1 and k-2. Now i can move on.

Back