Leaf springs and shocks

bradleyheathhays

Couple questions.

I'm replacing the bushings/shackles on the old '96 XJ leaf springs and I'm not sure how to go about disconnecting everything. Since the springs are under load I just don't want to jump into taking things apart on my first go round here. So do I just basically jack the rear end up so the tires are off the ground, then disconnect the front and rear ends of the leafs? At that point if I can get enough access to the ends I'm guessing I won't have to disconnect the springs from the axle.

And on the shocks.. Need to replace all 4 and need advice on a good brand/model. Basically my rigs always on the road and I just want a good quality OEM replacement...not economy and not heavy duty.

video should help.

BASIC shocks - Gabriel, Monroe... go to manuacturers web site to get part# then search - Amazon oogle for price
or shop local

Many buy OME, or Bilstein shocks for ride comfort and durability.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thanks JPN. Not going to like spending the extra money but in the end I'll be happier with better shocks.

The only Bilsteins I've found so far are the heavy duty 4600 series for about $68 per. Is that the functionality I should be aiming for...something in the way of heavy duty? I'm only stock and don't really carry much weight around.

And for the old man emus I haven't found those individually for sale anywhere. Maybe I not searching right or something.

Last edited:
Back