Need some direction on getting an impact wrench

bradleyheathhays

What's a good impact gun for a decent price that will hold up well for a weekend warrior like myself? Probably be used less than 10 times a year. Harbor Freight had some for about $43 from Central Pneumatics that did something like 550 ft lbs. Although I'm not familiar with CP that one sounds ok but I'd rather have a little more ft lbs. And I'm guessing air driven (vs. battery) would end up giving more torque for the cost.

Also, with the higher torque capacity I'm wanting I'd guess the 1/2" drive is what I should be aiming for?

A lot depends on how much you are wanting to spend. I have a HF impact I bought for less than $20 about 35 yrs ago, it works great but could use more torque. HF has several different models with different specs to choose from. Pneumatic tools are generally the lowest costing ones. IMO it's not a great idea to use battery tools unless the battery gets used regularly [maybe with a different tool] I prefer for all my cordless tools to utilize the same battery - just sitting on a shelf unused is hard on batteries.

I use the one from walmart. I have had it two or three years and have had zero problems. same with their 3/8 drive air ratchet

550 ftlbs - do you really need that regularly ? Oh yeah air is what you want.

Take a trip to 'harbor freight' so so tools great exchange/ customer service....

CP= Chicago Pneumatics - old brand was good in the day

Thanks for all the advice. Wish I could afford one of the batt types. I found a good deal on a slightly used 1/2" 800 ft lb pneumatic Husky from HD. I'll prob end up going with that one unless I hear some bad advice about it.

Back