Day 7

XJReaper

Today I found that the shift linkage to trans in donor trans has a problem. When in park the jeep won't start unless I get under and wiggle it back and forth with my hand. I already tightened it and still no change. So I guess I have to swap those back out.

Sent from my [device_name] using Jeepz.com mobile app

There is a adjustable NSS switch that you could verify is in position. It's on the trans and if not met will not allow the starter to turn.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

There is a adjustable NSS switch that you could verify is in position. It's on the trans and if not met will not allow the starter to turn.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app
As you can tell I'm a backyard mechanic. Not sure what a nss switch is or where it's located. I will look it up in Hanes Manuel. Again thank you for all the help and knowledge.

As you can tell I'm a backyard mechanic. Not sure what a nss switch is or where it's located. I will look it up in Hanes Manuel. Again thank you for all the help and knowledge.

So I found out what and where the nss is... but the Hanes book reads like stereo instructions. I am going o try to fix and hopefully don't have to replace it.

Neutral safety switch.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
I took off the nss and took it apart and cleaned all the connection points and stretched the springs slightly. The check engine light went off but still won't start in park. It will start in neutral though. And my gears don't line up with the display next to the shifter. Just getting it in park is difficult.

I think there is a plastic part in the shifter that breaks and causes issues. Lemme look and I'll post back.

NSS rebuild this guy has some nice videos.
Refers to the broken plastic part. Not his issue but worth looking into along with his fix.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
First verify the NSS is set properly. Being it worked properly before, this part might not be broken.

Chopstick fix:

Not mine. From somewhere else.

11abe73fa68177d8ec907ab67fbfd934.jpg
90f36e0d8815f48c750b5106592929f6.jpg
6cd6a1dcf5334174351f14dcab3305dc.jpg

7520b99af4ecb98967894c0526ca5f43.jpg

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back