Sergio Marchionne steps down, Mike Manley (head of Jeep) now runs Fiat Chrysler

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Sergio Marchionne has become gravely ill due to complications from surgery (I haven't seen any further details on this). Apparently his illness is serious enough to cause him to step down as head of Fiat Chrysler. The head of Jeep, Mike Manley has become chief executive (I don't see anything about interim or temporary, so this must be a permanent gig). Everythign I've read about Mike Manley is positive, he's credited with really growing Jeeps brand and market-share.

merlin_141592287_4fd5e8e6-c0c3-483c-8531-cb53b1e61098-jumbo.jpg

From the NY times (the bolding is my own...):

The company’s profitability is perhaps the central issue that Mr. Manley will have to tackle. Profit amounted to about 6 percent of Fiat Chrysler’s revenue last year, well short of the 11 percent achieved by General Motors. In June, Mr. Marchionne and his executive team laid out a business plan that calls for spending 45 billion euros to develop more than two-dozen new vehicles, including electric models, all while slashing costs by €9 billion — a tough balancing act for an automaker. The goal is to more than double its profit margin by 2022.

Mr. Manley will have to rely heavily on the sport-utility vehicle line going forward. Consumers in the United States, China and elsewhere are increasingly opting for roomier models like S.U.V.s, and pricier Jeeps like the Grand Cherokee generate hefty profits. With its heritage dating back to the rugged military vehicles used in World War II, Jeep also has a global appeal that other Fiat Chrysler brands lack. Under the company’s five-year business plan, Jeep is scheduled to introduce a midsize pickup truck next year as well as 14 new hybrid or battery-powered models. In China, Jeep would offer four fully electric models.

Mr. Manley “has to grow Jeep in China,” said Tom LaSorda, a former Chrysler chief executive. “That’s the future.”

In the United States market, the new models can’t come soon enough, especially the seven-passenger Jeep Grand Wagoneer that’s scheduled to arrive in 2020. “We needed that vehicle yesterday,” said Mr. Lutz, the dealership owner. In the first six months of this year, Fiat Chrysler’s United States sales rose 5 percent, due exclusively to higher Jeep sales.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I'm really excited about some fully electric Jeep models - even though everything I've read said for China only. I'd bet that max torque the instant you pressed the pedal would make a pretty good offroad experience.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I'm really excited about some fully electric Jeep models - even though everything I've read said for China only. I'd bet that max torque the instant you pressed the pedal would make a pretty good offroad experience.

You know they already hit the market.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

They are fairly inexpensive too. And you could get them in the states.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

In fact here is some at a mud bog race. I think Terry is in the yellow one with the dual whip antennas on the back.
image-missing.png

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

As an update to this story, Sergio Marchionne has died

26MARCHIONNE2-jumbo-v2.jpg

Sergio Marchionne, the executive who pulled two ailing carmakers from the brink of collapse and led the improbable transformation of Fiat Chrysler into an automotive giant, died on Wednesday in Zurich. He was 66.

That's unfortunate about Sergio Marchionne. For him to be that ill and still press forward to keep a company performing shows his true passion and commitment.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back