2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0 fan blade

dlmrun2002

So for the last few days I noticed some weird noise/vibration coming form the front of the car. Been super cold in upstate NY so I was concerned possible tranny issues but much to my surprise today I popped open the hood and saw the fan blade between engine and radiator is wobbling and not spinning. I tried quickly to see if I could spin it back on thinking the fan blade thread is in opposite direction but no luck yet. Looking for any input on the Grand Cherokee and blade issue. Thanks in advance.

dlm ny country

Last edited:

Is this a mechanical clutch fan? If you could spin it by hand with the engine off and it spins 5 or more times after you let go replace fan and clutch.

If the wobbling is what it is attached to that is the water pump. If pulley is moving in and out and wobbling the water pump need to be replaced.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Is this a mechanical clutch fan? If you could spin it by hand with the engine off and it spins 5 or more times after you let go replace fan and clutch.

If the wobbling is what it is attached to that is the water pump. If pulley is moving in and out and wobbling the water pump need to be replaced.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

The fan blade (mechanical) look like it just unscrewed from water pump and is balancing on the end of the shaft. I tried to pull it off but there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between fan shroud and end of water pump threads. Will get a better look in a day or two.It's freezing in NY and I am dealing with a severe flu. Sucks being sick and then your Jeep poops on you.. :)
dlm ny country

Assuming it's the same set up as the 1990 cherokee I used to have, there are 4 bolts that hold the fan blade on. Mine had backed out and I was ready to replace the clutch before I realized that the fan itself was loose. I tightened those bolts and it was good to go.

Yeah it's not the 4 bolts that hold the fan assembly on. I am wondering if the mechanical fans use a viscous type fluid on the fan clutch assembly, similar to what older BMW uses that get to a certain temp and then grab causing the fan to turn. That's not my problem, either way.

dlm ny country

So my fan clutch assemble actually separated from the nut that mounts on the water pump. Just broke away. Old bones I guess. Gonna get a replacement from the online place that doesn't extort your life savings like the box retail joints do. I also have a fan clutch tool for BMW's that WILL fit my Jeep so I can bolt it to my water pump to prevent engine rotation while I get some muscle on the bolt thread on. Will update when Jeep is back on road.

dlm ny country

So I finally got around to installing my fan clutch. No heat in my garage so I am slow to work in a cold garage. I was enjoying driving my BMW and wagon until some chic turned right in front of me and totaled it Thursday night. Thank god I no one was hurt. Had the Grand Cherokee idling for at least 1/2 an hour and didn't see the fan engage at all. Temp gauge in car was fine. When does this fan clutch kick in? Curious.

dlm ny country

It only comes on as needed although I'd have thought it would come on during a 1/2 hr idle. What did your temp gauge say? Usually if you turn the AC on it will make the fan engage.

I thought it was the condenser fan that came on with AC, not the engine cooling fan. Engine cooling fan has no wires, it's viscous driven.

dlm ny country

Did your engine get up to stable temperatures? 210? Did you put a cooler thermo in?
The fan should be turning with the engine. When it engages i note more of a whirl or whoosh noise.

I noticed in my Tj if you drive at or above 35 mph enough air is forced through the radiator the fan is less likely to kick on. But when you stop at an intersection, it will kick on.

I know you said you have a new fan but you can check it. With engine cold spin the fan with one strong spin. It should only rotate 5 times no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Will do. Engine ran for a good bit in the Garage. Did a 50 mile trip today and temp gauge sat dead in the middle which has been the normal spot. I could be wrong but I thought the fan was a bit stiffer then spinning freely with one strong spin. Will take another look.

dlm ny country

Will do. Engine ran for a good bit in the Garage. Did a 50 mile trip today and temp gauge sat dead in the middle which has been the normal spot. I could be wrong but I thought the fan was a bit stiffer then spinning freely with one strong spin. Will take another look.

dlm ny country
So I took another look at my new fan clutch and it does spin if I rotate it but not freely like you said JP. Good think I checked too because I noticed the condenser fan wires had moved and were in the way of the engine cooling fan. They would have been cut by the blade. I zip tied them down out of the way. Car is running fine temp wise. I haven't felt the fan kick in yet.

dlm ny country

Back