New sound

syrekn_390

So last night my 4.0 2000 Wrangler started to make a new sound. It was coming from the drivers side and it sounded like the same sound when air is being let out of your tire. The sound is always there except when I am accelerate on the road. Anyone have any ideas wheat this issue could be? Anything helps, thanks!!! #jeepon

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Around or under 1k? If you are above 750 rpm after 1-2 minutes it is a vacuum leak.

To find it let the engine idle and carefully spray wd40, carb or to cleaner around the intake vac lines then the head near each intake port then the injectors. When the engine idle changes you found the leak.

Quick check. Des your heater blow out anywhere besides the defroster? That is a common vac leak. HVAC vac line on the intake.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Have you had or seen this issue before? Easy fix?

On my old car (not Jeep); exactly what you described happened.

I was under the hood with the engine running (for reasons I can’t remember) and I noticed a “FFFsssssshhhhh” kind of sound. I didn’t think too much of it at the time, but when I check engine light came on, I knew something wasn’t right.

Check engine fault codes were “Air / fuel ratio too lean” and “random misfires” (I don’t remember exactly the code numbers, but that’s what they meant)

I inspected all the visible vacuum hoses, but didn’t see any cracks or anything that would suggest a leak.

Then with the help of my dad we managed to trace the “ffffsssshhhh” sound to the back middle of the engine. Then I tried to spray starting fluid around the manifold and sure enough the engine reved up.

After removing the intake manifold, I noticed a small vacuum hose that was not visible with the intake manifold on. And it was not only rock hard but it also had visible cracks all over it.

After changing that hose and the intake manifold gasket, and cleared the fault codes, the issue was resolved.

Was an easy fix? ....well at the time I didn’t really know what I was doing and my local mechanic plus people online (not this forum) kept saying it was fuel related and I had a clogged fuel filter. All of which was not even remotely true.

I spend a lot of time diagnosing and researching the issue myself, so thinking back on it now; if I had known what to look for it would have been a lot easier, but at the time I didn’t have the slightest clue about where to start or what the issue could be.

But this was the issue and fix on my old car. It doesn’t mean it will be exactly the same fix or issue on your car.

So back to your issue: I mean from what you have described; my educated guess (keyword: guess) is that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. But again it’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around or under 1k? If you are above 750 rpm after 1-2 minutes it is a vacuum leak.

To find it let the engine idle and carefully spray wd40, carb or to cleaner around the intake vac lines then the head near each intake port then the injectors. When the engine idle changes you found the leak.

Quick check. Des your heater blow out anywhere besides the defroster? That is a common vac leak. HVAC vac line on the intake.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Heater barley works but will only blow out defrost.

On my old car (not Jeep); exactly what you described happened.

I was under the hood with the engine running (for reasons I can’t remember) and I noticed a “FFFsssssshhhhh” kind of sound. I didn’t think too much of it at the time, but when I check engine light came on, I knew something wasn’t right.

Check engine fault codes were “Air / fuel ratio too lean” and “random misfires” (I don’t remember exactly the code numbers, but that’s what they meant)

I inspected all the visible vacuum hoses, but didn’t see any cracks or anything that would suggest a leak.

Then with the help of my dad we managed to trace the “ffffsssshhhh” sound to the back middle of the engine. Then I tried to spray starting fluid around the manifold and sure enough the engine reved up.

After removing the intake manifold, I noticed a small vacuum hose that was not visible with the intake manifold on. And it was not only rock hard but it also had visible cracks all over it.

After changing that hose and the intake manifold gasket, and cleared the fault codes, the issue was resolved.

Was an easy fix? ....well at the time I didn’t really know what I was doing and my local mechanic plus people online (not this forum) kept saying it was fuel related and I had a clogged fuel filter. All of which was not even remotely true.

I spend a lot of time diagnosing and researching the issue myself, so thinking back on it now; if I had known what to look for it would have been a lot easier, but at the time I didn’t have the slightest clue about where to start or what the issue could be.

But this was the issue and fix on my old car. It doesn’t mean it will be exactly the same fix or issue on your car.

So back to your issue: I mean from what you have described; my educated guess (keyword: guess) is that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. But again it’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. Anything helps. I will look into the problem in more dept in the next few weeks. Thanks

Heater barley works but will only blow out defrost.

Get some hops and have a beer.
If only blows out defrost there is a vac line that either comes loose or cracks.

image-missing.png

If your heater only works on high that is the resistor. Inexpensive easy fix.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/hardermods/Forum Crap/Jeepacvac.gif

Last edited:
Back