97 XJ Advice

Hey everyone. I'm considering joining the Jeep world and have settled on getting an XJ. I'm trying to get a feel for value and prices. I found this one near me, but not sure on the price. Is this a reasonable ask for this example? Assuming there are no hidden issues of course.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-pleasant-rust-free-97-cherokee/6816772927.html

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Jeepz.com mobile app
Is it bad form to ask this kind of thing here? Or is there just not enough info to offer an opinion? Let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Jeepz.com mobile app

No not a bad thing to ask. Sometimes slow here.
To me everything used or sold by owner is a gamble.
Im not an XJ guy nut know the engine snd drivetrains a bit.
No frame so inspect for rot.
Let it warm up to operating temp. Listen for missing knocking hissing ticking. Any smoke out the back. Idle should be 750 rpm.
Check for oil in the coolant once cooled. Check for water in the oil. Check tranny fluid. Brake fluid.
Black is an issue. Too clean could be hiding. Inspect drivetrain. Torque axels and driveshaft looking for play.

Ot take it to a local shop and pay them to check it out and list issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I was going to say that's too expensive, however I just looked, and that appears to be the going price for XJs.

Does it have lockers? The post doesn't say, but there's a sticker on the back.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I let this one go. However I did purchase a different XJ. More to come...

Back