Weird Issue - Multiple Misfire after SP Change

Gar77459

Hi all,

Brand new here and hoping to get a little help. I changed my driver side spark plugs (the side that requires removing the upper intake manifold) on my 2013 JK Sahara - everything went great until it was all put back together. For some reason the entire bank is experiencing misfire issues. It threw codes 0202, 0204, and 0206 (Open cylinder/misfire codes for cylinder 2,4, and 6 respectively). Shakes, shudder, and sometimes dies on idle - Tach drops to 500ish RPM on idle after initial rev. I went back and triple checked everything and cannot find what is going wrong. Here are my thoughts:

1. Because the entire bank is acting up I don't think its a plug issue (although I did go back and double check gapping and torque specs for each plug - they are good) which leaves airflow, electrical, fuel, or valve issue.
2. Air flow - checked the intake hose connections - at one point it looked like the intake hose popped out of the elbow joint in the back of the plenum but that turned out not to be the issue.
3. Fuel - removed the cap from the fuel rail on the injector side - there is fuel. Have not check injectors but it seemed unlikely that all three go out at the same time. Could be wrong here. Which leaves:
4. Electrical or valve - is there anything that controls that entire cylinder bank that would cause the issue?

Any thoughts on what the hell I did wrong? Thanks in advance for the help!

Did you gap the spark plugs before installing (just a guess)?

What brand and part number plug did you put in?

Did they go in with ease? Started by hand?

Plugs are usually gapped correctly out of the box.

Did you rip the boots?
Sure the boots went back over the plugs?
Did you unplug the rail?
Was the rail hard to bolt back in?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

True, but it's still a good idea to check them, every now and again you'd get one that isn't gapped correctly.

I don’t disagree. Mistakes are made.

Post up next time you (anyone)finds one off enough to plausibly cause an issue. Just curious on how often.
Plus iridium plugs are fragile and extra care needs to be taken gapping.

How is it going OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back