My Jeep stinks bad need help

Thatsthespirit

I got a new Jeep and it's pretty nice but the smell is horrible. It sat as a farm vehicle for some time. I do t know if the smell is from maneur or mice getting inside. But my only thought was to sweep thoroughly and try to shampoo what I could. Any other advice ? Should I remove all the seats ? Should I just splurge on new carpet ?

Last edited by a moderator:

What model ? TJ we jk...

Wrangler models seats and carpeting come out easily.

Several times I've had the jeep filled with sweaty muddy Boy Scouts and camping gear after outings. I've pulled the plugs and taken dish soap or simple green, a scrub brush and a garden hose in. Used my 16gal wet dry vac to dry it as best as I could. Back carpet I'd pull and let dry in the sun on the back porch.
The vac could almost dry the seats fully.

If it's skunk might try oxy clean. Skunk needs to be oxidized.
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
I'm not sure but replacing the carpet is an option. I found a site www. Ocautocarpets.Com and you can get the whole carpet(minus rear cargo area) for $130. That's the cheapest I've found so far. I have a bad odor problem as well so I'm considering changing mine out. But otherwise my final try is temove the seats , sweep thourogly and shampoo the carpet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Be me, I'd pull the carpets, and replace them. Also be a good opportunity to check, and / or fix any rust that might be under them.

Having a distinct smell is little bit hard to remove. Already tried steaming the covers and floor but the smell would still be there. If the AC is where the smell comes from then try changing the filters. Mine smelled like garbage and until now it still smells like that but it lessen since I steamed it plus disinfected the whole car.

Replacing the carpets would be the most efficient route. Also cleaning out the air box might help who knows what that looks like if it’s been sitting a long time. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Make sure to clean out the air intake and defroster plenums (drop windshield if cj/wrangler) especially if it sat on the farm...dead mice.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

I'd vote for replacing the carpet, especially if it can be done for under $200. If you pull all the seats out of it, you may find out that the issue is the seats themselves (once they are separate from the Jeep).

Back