misbehaving multifunction function switch/parking lights remaining on - 2007 Liberty

Liberty Dog

My headlights are engaging in the parking light (first detente) position, so the parking and tail lights are remaining on when I toggle the switch back to the off position. The switch seems to be "skipping" the parking light position altogether. They do go off with the auto off function and come back on again when I start the car (also the auto function?). I never leave my headlights on normally when I shut shut the ignition off. Do I just need to replace the combination switch - or could it be another issue?

Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Likely the multifunction switch. I had a similar issue where the fog lights stay on key off. I ended up taking it apart and filling the worn plastic part with epoxy. So far so good. Cant say if the same can be done for your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

"Likely the multifunction switch. I had a similar issue where the fog lights stay on key off. I ended up taking it apart and filling the worn plastic part with epoxy. So far so good. Cant say if the same can be done for your issue."

Thanks so much ;o guess I'll pop of that switch and see if I can see any worn areas before I buy a new one...Where was that worn part located on the switch?

This is the fog lights.
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
Opposite side of this part is a polished beveled area a plastic rod glides on. The area was worn down.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for the pics!
Did your "auto off" lights function (also "auto on" I guess) turn your fog lights off when you were having the issue?
Something wonky with that seems like it might be a possibility if it's not the switch.
Just trying to narrow it down before I dig in if possible ;O

If your dome lights are staying on, check the door switches. They are adjustable and may have been knocked in and no longer break the contact. You could adjust them back out.

The part I fixed is specifically for the fog lights. I awoke to a dead battery. When I replaced the battery I noticed the fog lights would not turn off. Switch was off. Ignition on or off the fogs were on.

So as you disassemble the multifunction switch look at the components that turn headlights and marker lights on.

Another possibility is the marker lights lost ground. I believe they and the headlights share the same ground point. So if they loose that point the markers may find a ground path through the headlights. So when you turn markers on the headlights come in and if you turn the headlights??? Possibly nothing or you get both on along with something else on.

Last edited:

Any luck?

Sorry my friend, I never saw this...I decided to just get a replacement multifunction switch from Amazon and pop it in... Unfortunately, when I tried that the other day, I wasn't able to remove the shroud from the steering column. I easily removed the 2 phillips screws that hold the top and bottom pieces together and popped the tabs on either side, but something was still not letting them separate fully (seemingly around where they butt up to the steering wheel). The ESP control button is also accessible through the top piece of the cover, which wasn't the case in the only videos I could find of the '04 liberties that weren't equipped with ESP (not sure if Jeep even had ESP then) - so that threw me off too - not that it would have prevented my removing the cover had I been able to separate the 2 parts. In my frustration, I carelessly ended up breaking off one of the little plastic side tabs and worse, the plastic screw channel for one of the 2 phillips connectors - ugh. Fortunately the cover is still useable and I was able to find a quality local shop that is willing to install the new switch for me in a couple of days. Lucky, because naturally, most won't work with outside parts (for some good reasons of course). We'll see if that solves it! Frustrating because it looked to be so easy for me to swap out that switch...
Anyways, thanks again for your kind help, and I'll let you you know how it turns out...

Pauly B

Back