Hesitating acceleration after stopping for a light

bradleyheathhays

'96 XJ w/ 186k miles here and I'm just starting to get a short hesitation to accelerate after say stopping at a stop light. It's only happening at like maybe one out of every 40 stops or so but it's getting frequent enough that I'm guessing it's gonna get worse over time.

Typical behavior for my XJ is to starting rolling forward by itself after I let off the brake, even before hitting the gas. It does that 100% of the time. What I'm seeing now though is that sometimes when I let off the brake it just sits there until I hit the gas. Most of the time it starts going soon as the gas pedal is pushed. But other times it will hesitate for a second and something will clink and it'll lurch a little as if it's just going into gear.

Sound familiar? Hope so.

Problem is it's not doing this often enough to show to a mechanic, but I know it's gonna have to be addressed at some point.

What does this sound like and how can I start investigating this?

What rpm are you idling at?
Is it a position of the throttle? Like if you put it in nett real can you push the pedal a bit and rpms don't move then all of a sudden the engine rev and catches up?

Have you checked trans fluid? Level? Color? smell?

Check drive shafts for play and axels.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Have you adjusted the throttle. They are some lines that run over the top of the valve cover. One of them adjusts the slack in the throttle cable.You pull out the adjuster and slide the cable.

Back