Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Randun

I'm in the market for a RTT.

Which RTT company has the best customer service?

Does anyone have any feedback on what they have experienced in the past?

I would love to support a company that supports its customers too.

Thank you so much for your opinions!

I'm in the market for a RTT.

Which RTT company has the best customer service?

Does anyone have any feedback on what they have experienced in the past?

I would love to support a company that supports its customers too.

Thank you so much for your opinions!

The folks I camp and offroad with have not been all that happy with their rooftop tents. Here is what they have said.
  1. The tent and vehicle are tied together. All too often, we get into camp and get set up, and then decide to take a drive. That means taking down the tent and delaying the group.
  2. The tent up top is really cold in the winter due to air being on all sides.
  3. The tent up top is a crawling around affair making it tough to change clothes, etc.
  4. The vehicle rocks every time one of the roof top tent occupants moves or rolls around.
  5. The tent on top puts a fair amount of weight up high thereby raising the center of gravity of the rig.
  6. The tent on top kills fuel mileage.

The folks I camp and offroad with have found these solutions work better:
  1. A conventional, ground-based tent is a great alternative to the rooftop tent. Preferred brands include the made in the USA Springbar tent. Once camp is established, you can take a drive and not have to break down the tent.
  2. Conventional tents are much warmer in the winter due to not having air underneath.
  3. Conventional tents like the Springbar allow the user to stand up and stretch out.
  4. A tent on solid ground does not move around when users move around.
  5. Conventional tents don't raise the center of gravity of the vehicle.
  6. Convention tents don't impact fuel mileage.

The folks I camp and offroad with have not been all that happy with their rooftop tents. Here is what they have said.
  1. The tent and vehicle are tied together. All too often, we get into camp and get set up, and then decide to take a drive. That means taking down the tent and delaying the group.
  2. The tent up top is really cold in the winter due to air being on all sides.
  3. The tent up top is a crawling around affair making it tough to change clothes, etc.
  4. The vehicle rocks every time one of the roof top tent occupants moves or rolls around.
  5. The tent on top puts a fair amount of weight up high thereby raising the center of gravity of the rig.
  6. The tent on top kills fuel mileage.

The folks I camp and offroad with have found these solutions work better:
  1. A conventional, ground-based tent is a great alternative to the rooftop tent. Preferred brands include the made in the USA Springbar tent. Once camp is established, you can take a drive and not have to break down the tent.
  2. Conventional tents are much warmer in the winter due to not having air underneath.
  3. Conventional tents like the Springbar allow the user to stand up and stretch out.
  4. A tent on solid ground does not move around when users move around.
  5. Conventional tents don't raise the center of gravity of the vehicle.
  6. Convention tents don't impact fuel mileage.

Thank you so much for your opinions and your incite on RTT. You bring up some great points that I will definitely be thinking about.

I have heard that RTTs stay warmer then ground tents, but it is good to know that this is not always the case.

You also bring up a great point about being tied to your vehicle. This has been a concern of mine. Due to this, I have been looking more at the hard shell RTTs that seam to set up and break down in less then 2 minutes.

You also bring up a good point about changing clothes. I usually don't do this in the ground tent that I own now, but sometimes you do need privacy and I understand that this would be a little challenging in a RTT.

Back