Swhittaker603

I am definitely not a repair person and don't know much about it. I have a small leak in the front end of my 94 YJ. Small shock absorber looking device runs horizontal, guessing part of steering? Any advice on what the issue is?

Thanks

Yes

:p

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

That is a steering stabilizer. In reality when properly aligned and set ip it has no use.
It dampens the jolt of potholes or bumps. Most notable if you changed the geometry of track bar to drag link.
But your YJ has leaf springs and they help hold the geometry straight. Replace if you want but don’t spend a bunch doing it.

Is it leaking cause you hit something or just leaking?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thanks for this. It appears to be leaking around the collar on the ss rod, so my guess is it is just old and leaking. Once it runs out of hydraulic fluid will there be any damage or ok just to let it sit useless? I don't go off road, just drive around town. Shop said $200 to repair...

Too expensive!!! Way too expensive!

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

Part is $50 on the high side.
Should take you 1/2 hr to install. Them 15 min. No jack or lift required.

1994 JEEP WRANGLER 4.0L L6 Steering Damper | RockAuto

This guy does a good job but complicates it with the gear puller.... But that works. Many tools can be borrowed from AZ or O'Reilly.
[/video]

Regards,
JPNinPA

Last edited:
Ya, they are easy to remove/install. Probably the hardest part of the job is getting the nut loose. If it's stuck, spray some PB Blaster on it - maybe wait a day for it to work.

Here is another good video

Regards,
JPNinPA

Back