2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 V8 Won't start

JPGC2004

I'm wondering if all of these items are related electrically, because my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee,

1) Won't start, Gas gage says empty but tank is full.
2) AC clutch isn't turning so AC doesn't work.
3) Windows won't go down even after checking all wires in door jams they're good, and replacing master control on driver door.

I've checked all fuses they're fine, I even replaced the relays. Windows stop working so I went through the process of all the checks. Tried to use the air conditioner because windows wouldn't go down, that's when I noticed the AC didn't work.
Two weeks later while still trying to fix the other 2 problems now it won't start, gas gauge indicating empty even though the tank is full.

Anyone know if they are related electrically? Or what to do?

The gas gage is a dead spot on the float resistor. Once you use some gas it will read correctly.
That will not cause the no start condition.

Does the engine turn over or nothing? Any sounds? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on without starting?
Any CEL?
Take your jeep to a place that can check and fill AC refrigerant. Sometimes old jeeps just leak enough freon so the pressure gage will not let the clutch engage. Do not fill it yourself. More harm can happen if it is a DX switch and pressure is too high or if air or too much oil is put in the system

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
The gas gage is a dead spot on the float resistor. Once you use some gas it will read correctly.
That will not cause the no start condition.

Does the engine turn over or nothing? Any sounds? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on without starting?
Any CEL?
Take your jeep to a place that can check and fill AC refrigerant. Sometimes old jeeps just leak enough freon so the pressure gage will not let the clutch engage. Do not fill it yourself. More harm can happen if it is a DX switch and pressure is too high or if air or too much oil is put in the system

Yes the engine turns over, all the normal sounds ar there.
AC refrigerant & pressure is good.

How is the negative battery terminal connection? Make sure that is nice and clean at all connections.

Check to see if there are any engine codes.

Next, I'd look to see if you're getting spark to the sparkplugs.

^^Agree^^

AC will not kick in without the engine running. Did you check it with the engine running?

AC clutches go bad. But check fuses, relays. Also, the wiring on the back of the select switches. It tends to overheat and melt.

Does it start eventually after 2-3 attempts?

Last edited:
I know I am late here but...I wonder if you have fuel to the injectors- when the key is turned on, do you hear the fuel pump energize? I know mine was old and I would turn the key on, buckle up, adjust mirrors etc then crank the car...

/\ john, yours sounds like that very common grand Cherokee issue of the ecu having bad solder joints. on the zj models, it was very very common and i never owned a wj so i never researched it but your deal sounds just like the zj ecu solder issue

Back