Shifting into gears

TJGirl98

Ok, I have a 98 TJ, 5 speed manual. Tonight when I pulled into my driveway the Jeep made a sound like screeching tires in a parking garage and suddenly I couldn’t put it in any gear. Turned it off and still couldn’t put it in gear (clutch pushed in)….. went inside to grab my flashlight to go crawl under the Jeep, figured I would try again and bam! It shifts into all the gears. Checked the clutch fluid, full, checked the boot on the shifter to transmission… couldn’t feel any tears. But going from 5th to 4th it has the crumble paper noise….
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I’d start with bleeding the clutch. Old fluid or a air bubble could explain the intermittent loss.

Also check the transmission and transfer case fluid and color. No brown fluid.

Other possibility is throwout bearing is going. Any noise when clutch engaged but stops when you push the pedal in even partially?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

Like this?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

But it doesn’t make that noise every time. This time today… I was able to put it in all the gears with the motor off… once the motor was on I could only put it in 3rd gear once, took it out and then it wouldn’t go into any of the gears. Having it towed to the shop to have it looked at. Even have the shop guy scratching his head. Will update when I know more!

Well it needed up being the clutch…. I am actually impressed that the clutch went almost 200k miles before going out! 🤣

Back